MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

New to this MTB'ing lark? Come on in...
Peug26
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:35 pm

MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby Peug26 » Fri May 17, 2019 17:27 pm

Just bought my first MTB (Marin Nail Trail 7 2018, 27.5). Whilst i await its arrival thought to ask what accessories do I need that are essential? I'm conscious that generally when people get a new hobby they tend to spend a fortune on all sorts of accessiories that they never end up using so I am hoping to avoid that trap (with your help).

The things that I have thought so far are:

Helmet- any particular ones recommended or is it a case of buy what pleases your eye?
Mudguards - I'm hoping to get something modern looking and efficient (and which hopefully doesnt sound like a kids rattle)
Shock pump?
Multitool?
Puncture kit? (Not sure if the Nail Trail 7 already is but I do intend to go for tubeless tyres.

Anything else?

User avatar
BillyCool
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 20:30 pm

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby BillyCool » Fri May 17, 2019 17:29 pm

There was a similar thread not so long ago that covered the same subject.

Might be worth having a search for that.

Well done on getting the bike!
"Ride, crash, replace"

User avatar
JBA
Posts: 2366
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 20:02 pm

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby JBA » Fri May 17, 2019 19:08 pm

Get a helmet that fits your head shape.

It's summer; you don't need mudguards.

Shock pump, yes.

Multitool for use on the trail, a decent set to tools for home.

Puncture repair kit, tyre levers and at least one spare inner tube. Even if you go tubeless you need to carry these just in case a puncture is too big for the sealant to seal properly.

Hydration pack/hip pack.

Padded shorts.

Decent pedals - flats or clipless plus appropriate shoes.

Floor pump for home use and a compact pump for trail use.

Small first aid kit.

Buy some frame protection patches or helicopter tape to protect the rub points on the frame where cables/hoses or your feet may rub.
“Life has been unfaithful
And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Defy 1 2015
Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009

User avatar
steve_sordy
Posts: 1237
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 08:38 am

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby steve_sordy » Fri May 17, 2019 19:26 pm

Peug26 wrote:.................The things that I have thought so far are:

Helmet- any particular ones recommended or is it a case of buy what pleases your eye?
Mudguards - I'm hoping to get something modern looking and efficient (and which hopefully doesnt sound like a kids rattle)
Shock pump?
Multitool?
Puncture kit? (Not sure if the Nail Trail 7 already is but I do intend to go for tubeless tyres.

Anything else?


The first thing missing is a mini pump for your tyres. Get one, you cannot proceed without one, unless you like walking home from time to time, or riding with very low pressures when you get a slow puncture.

The second thing missing is an inner tube. Even when you go to tubeless (with sealant, you must add sealant!), then you need to carry a tube just in case. Then the means to pump up your tyres (see above).

The third thing missing is tyre levers! How are you going to fix the punctures on the trail, add/remove tubes, change tyres?

Fourth thing is very useful; a back pack to carry your kit and your water. Not essential, but better than a carrier bag!

Your thought list:
Helmets are essential! I have broken every single one I have ever owned, except the two I have now. I do not want to be even a little bit brain damaged. For regular riding I have a trail helmet not an XC helmet; they cover more of the head. Then there's the full face.

If your bike has an air fork, then a shock pump is another essential. Not only do you need to set up the fork to suit you at the start, but you will want to alter the sag from time to time. And by the way, the air does slowly leak out over time, so your sag slowly increases. Fork air pressure needs checking. You don't need to carry this with you unless you know that you want to play around with sag.

And of course a puncture kit. Think of the kit as a talisman! As long as you have one, you will never need it, but as soon as you leave it at home......

A multitool is very useful; I've lost count of the number of times I have used mine over the years. Essential no, but really useful.

Mudguards are a luxury, but nice. I make do with a Mucky Nutz under the fork and a blade that clamps on to the seat post.

Peug26
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:35 pm

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby Peug26 » Fri May 17, 2019 21:43 pm

Thank you guys. It shows how wet I am on this subject. :oops:

If the bike comes with tubed tyres then I can use them tubes as spares. I think it already comes with pedals so that's sorted as well. I can upgrade them as well if they're not comfortable. I intend to go for flat pedals so that I can ride with any trainers.

I thought that the shock pump would double up as a tyre pump as well but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Check on all the other items as well.

Regarding frame protectors, is there somewhere I can get a clear full frame protector that I can stick on the bike from the start? I think I read somewhere that one can order a frame protector cut to measure?

cougie
Posts: 22356
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 22:34 pm

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby cougie » Fri May 17, 2019 21:50 pm

Sunglasses. Mitts. Track pump for home. Camelback.

Peug26
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:35 pm

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby Peug26 » Sat May 18, 2019 00:32 am

BTW, can I use the C2W scheme to purchase these items?

User avatar
BillyCool
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 20:30 pm

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby BillyCool » Sat May 18, 2019 07:50 am

Peug26 wrote:Thank you guys. It shows how wet I am on this subject. :oops:

If the bike comes with tubed tyres then I can use them tubes as spares. I think it already comes with pedals so that's sorted as well. I can upgrade them as well if they're not comfortable. I intend to go for flat pedals so that I can ride with any trainers.

I thought that the shock pump would double up as a tyre pump as well but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Check on all the other items as well.

Regarding frame protectors, is there somewhere I can get a clear full frame protector that I can stick on the bike from the start? I think I read somewhere that one can order a frame protector cut to measure?


You can keep the tubes as spares. Assume your rims and tyres are tubeless ready?

Shock pump and track (tyre) pump are 2 different things.

In terms of pedals - it's all personal preference. I ride in flats and have 5.10 shoes. I didn't believe the hype until I tried some and they do work really well. My feet feel like they are velcro'd to the pedals. I used to ride my HT in trainers etc but on my FS the 5.10's come into their own on more challenging terrain.

Regarding a helmet - most people wear `trail` helmets - they have a bit more protection around the back of the head compared the the lighter and older style XC helmets. Nothing wrong with an XC helmet but I've seen first hand the different between the 2 when head hits rock.

Backpack with water bladder is helpful on longer rides - to carry all your extras. I probably carry too much but have everything I need *just in case*. The only things that have been used recently are the pump, multi-tool, tyre levers and foil blanket.

I'm pretty sure you can buy some stuff through C2W scheme as people have mentioned it before.
"Ride, crash, replace"

User avatar
steve_sordy
Posts: 1237
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 08:38 am

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby steve_sordy » Sat May 18, 2019 09:03 am

Peug26 wrote:..................

I thought that the shock pump would double up as a tyre pump as well but that doesn't seem to be the case.

................

Regarding frame protectors, is there somewhere I can get a clear full frame protector that I can stick on the bike from the start? I think I read somewhere that one can order a frame protector cut to measure?


You can use a shock pump, but it might take you 24 hours to inflate a tyre! Shock pumps are high pressure, low volume. In comparison, pumps for tyres are low pressure, high volume. Although the fittings are the same, a pump for tyres and tubes cannot achieve the pressures required for suspension, nor has the required accuracy. Actually, a tyre pump may be able to achieve the pressure required in the fork (but not the shock), it depends. But a shock pump is a specialist bit of kit and it will last you for years and years and years. You will not regret buying one.

Some go to the expense of Invisiframe protection, not me! I use a roll of helicopter tape, so called because it was used to protect the leading edges of helicopter blades from erosion, so its tough stuff. Many call it bike tape. See here:
https://www.biketart.com/accessories-c5 ... te_2_=5093

Get the 75m wide stuff, any wider and it can be difficult to apply. I have a short guide to applying bike tape. It is based upon my experience and that of about half a dozen others who have contributed their tips from time to time. It's free, no strings. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll email you a copy.

mattyfez
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:00 am

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby mattyfez » Sat May 18, 2019 10:28 am

You can often pick up 2nd hand but nearly new rockshox 300 psi shock pumps for around £15, that's what I did. It arrived in a sealed plastic packet.

Not sure why, presumably they come free with high end forks, so bike shops/serial updgraders end up with a pile of them.

Perfectly decent shock pumps though. So I'd look for new/used once or twice ones, as IIRC those models are about £30 to buy at retail price.

User avatar
Andy9964
Posts: 932
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:44 am

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby Andy9964 » Sat May 18, 2019 13:41 pm

If you do go tubeless, you may need suitable tape

User avatar
steve_sordy
Posts: 1237
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 08:38 am

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby steve_sordy » Sat May 18, 2019 16:46 pm

Andy9964 wrote:If you do go tubeless, you may need suitable tape


My LBS recommended me to use Gorilla tape. I have done so and its brilliant stuff, much better than the crap that comes with the bike.

Clean off the old crap and wipe down the rim bed with iso-propyl alcohol, brake cleaner or meths, whatever you have that gets rid of grease. I use two layers of Gorilla tape, starting 2" before the valve hole and overlapping by 2" at the end. If the rim is wider than the tape, put one layer to the left and one to the right. Then pierce the tape from the rim side to allow you to fit the tubeless valve. I knock the valve in gently with a soft hammer.

Nobody will ever see the tape, but I like the black tape because it looks like carbon fibre fabric! :D

User avatar
JBA
Posts: 2366
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 20:02 pm

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby JBA » Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 am

Peug26 wrote:Regarding frame protectors, is there somewhere I can get a clear full frame protector that I can stick on the bike from the start? I think I read somewhere that one can order a frame protector cut to measure?


Invisiframe do full kits for some bikes. It is not cheap but is excellent. My wife’s 2015 Anthem was bought second hand but had been Invisiframed from new. The frame is still pristine.
If I buy a brand new MTB again I will budget to get it Invisiframed.

There are plenty of other frame protection kits available or just buy a roll of helitape and cut your own patches. It all depends on your budget, time and how much you want to protect the frame.
“Life has been unfaithful
And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Defy 1 2015
Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009

Peug26
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:35 pm

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby Peug26 » Mon May 20, 2019 00:00 am

Andy9964 wrote:If you do go tubeless, you may need suitable tape


Is this if the wheels are not tubeless ready? Or is it something that has to be done nevertheless?

Peug26
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:35 pm

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby Peug26 » Mon May 20, 2019 00:03 am

mattyfez wrote:Perfectly decent shock pumps though. So I'd look for new/used once or twice ones, as IIRC those models are about £30 to buy at retail price.


I think what I might do is use the C2W scheme so that I can get all the accessories I need in one place. that way I should be saving 40% off them.

larkim
Posts: 2222
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 08:19 am

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby larkim » Mon May 20, 2019 15:53 pm

Peug26 wrote:
Andy9964 wrote:If you do go tubeless, you may need suitable tape


Is this if the wheels are not tubeless ready? Or is it something that has to be done nevertheless?

AFAIk tubeless ready can mean either the rims are designed for tubeless tyres (i.e. the bead hooks are the right shape for tubeless specific tyres) OR they are as I've just described AND the rim tape is tubeless specific rim tape.

Only way to know is to take off the tyre and tube and see what the rim tape is. I may, however, be wrong!
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #3s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

User avatar
steve_sordy
Posts: 1237
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 08:38 am

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby steve_sordy » Mon May 20, 2019 17:36 pm

Rim tape can be replaced, it's dead easy to do.

User avatar
Andy9964
Posts: 932
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:44 am

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby Andy9964 » Mon May 20, 2019 23:12 pm

larkim wrote:
Peug26 wrote:
Andy9964 wrote:If you do go tubeless, you may need suitable tape


Is this if the wheels are not tubeless ready? Or is it something that has to be done nevertheless?

AFAIk tubeless ready can mean either the rims are designed for tubeless tyres (i.e. the bead hooks are the right shape for tubeless specific tyres) OR they are as I've just described AND the rim tape is tubeless specific rim tape.

Only way to know is to take off the tyre and tube and see what the rim tape is. I may, however, be wrong!

My WTB rims and tyres are both tubeless, but set up with tubes from the shop. The rim tape was a rather loose fitting plastic thing, which seemed to be heat shrunk onto the rim. I replaced it with tubeless tape

swod1
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 20:30 pm

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby swod1 » Wed May 22, 2019 13:39 pm

JBA wrote:
Peug26 wrote:Regarding frame protectors, is there somewhere I can get a clear full frame protector that I can stick on the bike from the start? I think I read somewhere that one can order a frame protector cut to measure?


Invisiframe do full kits for some bikes. It is not cheap but is excellent. My wife’s 2015 Anthem was bought second hand but had been Invisiframed from new. The frame is still pristine.
If I buy a brand new MTB again I will budget to get it Invisiframed.

There are plenty of other frame protection kits available or just buy a roll of helitape and cut your own patches. It all depends on your budget, time and how much you want to protect the frame.


A roll of decent 3m brand clear protective tape would be ideal as you can if not covering the whole frame at least do areas to avoid cable rub etc.

User avatar
steve_sordy
Posts: 1237
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 08:38 am

Re: MTB bought. Now, what accessories are essential?

Postby steve_sordy » Wed May 22, 2019 17:39 pm

swod1 wrote:[............

A roll of decent 3m brand clear protective tape would be ideal as you can if not covering the whole frame at least do areas to avoid cable rub etc.


In addition to any areas required to avoid cable rub, do both chain stays, both seat stays, and underneath the down tube. If you are prone to heel rub, consider a second shorter layer on the chain stays.


Return to “MTB Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests