Having problems adjusting brake pads

New to this MTB'ing lark? Come on in...
NoobSquid

Having problems adjusting brake pads

Postby NoobSquid » Wed Apr 24, 2019 08:59 am

I was adjusting my brakes a couple days ago as I noticed the rear brakes were pressing on the wheel a little bit, I think it happened after an accident I had about a week ago, but no way to know for sure. Anyway, I was adjusting the "set screw" (as referred to in this video - https://youtu.be/BJCbjqhzW_Y?t=191 - not sure if that's the right name for it, so please correct me if I'm wrong) when one of them came out. I've been trying to get the screw back in but it just won't. Consequently the brake is now always pressing down on the wheel. This feels like such a small issue, but I've got no idea what to do. Can anyone help? Have I messed the whole thing up?

oxoman

Re: Having problems adjusting brake pads

Postby oxoman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 09:44 am

Given the video clip is for canti brakes I'm assuming that's what's on your bike. The screw should go straight back in unless the thread is damaged. Sometimes you can get a build up of dirt on the pivot that will mean the brake arm will stick, ideally strip and clean everything and lube the pivot points before reassembling. Check for thread damage on the brake arm where the adjuster screw goes in. If your still struggling a bike shop would sort it in 5 minutes or so with the right tools.
Moda Bolero wet bike.
Giant Anthem SX
Giant TCX SLR CX bike
Defy Adv Pro 2 shiny nice bike :P
Boardman comp hardtail. little oxo,s

Return to “MTB Beginners”