New And Need Some Help

New to this MTB'ing lark? Come on in...
milne4170
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:27 pm

New And Need Some Help

Postby milne4170 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:37 pm

Hi guys new to this , Got some great downhill tracks in the sticks up north here but am very undecided in which bike to buy, budget is up to 450-500 region any suggestions and reasons for them woyuld be great

Also another question the rear shocks is it better to have a bike with or without the shock for the terrain in the woods and for the medium sized jumps that they have there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers John

User avatar
supersonic
Lives Here
Posts: 81948
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:50 am

Postby supersonic » Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:45 pm

Have a read of the What Bike thread in the general section - plus the other threads on tis price range.

User avatar
russ0228
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 17:14 pm

Postby russ0228 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:52 pm

for the price range you are suggesting you would be much better off with a hardtail as having a rear shock and pivots on a bike costs money and something has to give and it's usually the rest of the bits that get downgraded compared to ahardtail in the same price point. go for the gt avanlanche 2.0 or the spacialized rockhopper or even the giant xtc would all be great steeds. i would personally go for the spesh as the back up from them is second to none. and it rides deyond its price point. either way get down to your lbs and try some as only you will no wich feels right. happy hunting

milne4170
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:27 pm

Postby milne4170 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:58 pm

russ0228 wrote:for the price range you are suggesting you would be much better off with a hardtail as having a rear shock and pivots on a bike costs money and something has to give and it's usually the rest of the bits that get downgraded compared to ahardtail in the same price point. go for the gt avanlanche 2.0 or the spacialized rockhopper or even the giant xtc would all be great steeds. i would personally go for the spesh as the back up from them is second to none. and it rides deyond its price point. either way get down to your lbs and try some as only you will no wich feels right. happy hunting


cheers for that most appreciated, is it better tto have a rear shock for this sort of terrain ? just so i know so i am picking up a bit of knowledge about it as i go along.

Cheers John

Downhill dominator
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:12 pm

Postby Downhill dominator » Tue Sep 18, 2007 21:03 pm

where are you from as this will help you choose a bike ie scotland ( quiet rough at some tracks )

milne4170
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:27 pm

Postby milne4170 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 21:04 pm

Downhill dominator wrote:where are you from as this will help you choose a bike ie scotland ( quiet rough at some tracks )


North east scotland

Downhill dominator
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:12 pm

Postby Downhill dominator » Tue Sep 18, 2007 21:08 pm

hmm so right now am geuss in up near fort bill and the likes

noo

if am wrong feel free to laugh as i am no that good at geography and the likes lol

milne4170
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:27 pm

Postby milne4170 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 21:14 pm

Downhill dominator wrote:hmm so right now am geuss in up near fort bill and the likes

noo

if am wrong feel free to laugh as i am no that good at geography and the likes lol


Your spot on there your in the correct direction

Downhill dominator
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:12 pm

Postby Downhill dominator » Tue Sep 18, 2007 21:17 pm

and you want a hardtail to do dh on what tracks.

milne4170
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:27 pm

Postby milne4170 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 21:20 pm

Downhill dominator wrote:and you want a hardtail to do dh on what tracks.


not sure what i need for it, whats best for this kind of down hill terrain, is it better to have rear shock? i dont have a clue about it

Downhill dominator
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:12 pm

Postby Downhill dominator » Tue Sep 18, 2007 21:24 pm

Well if you plan on fort bill the you will need more than a couple of hundred quid. unless you want to hire a bike and get a pass up and down for the track includes cable cars,armour,a lid very important and a big hit 2 all for 100 quid but for the witches craig more xc based i think but technical a hardtail will be fine


Return to “MTB Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests