Hand Position On Steep Climbs

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Wayne Plunger

Re: Hand Position On Steep Climbs

Postby Wayne Plunger » Sat Sep 21, 2019 18:09 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I am no super cyclist by any means but am a bit of beligurant devil who doesn't know when he is beat and will "get up it" by any means.

On the way up, especially at the 18/19% bits I was alternating between tops and hoods and breathing out of my backside!! That is why I asked the original question, could I have made life a bit easier for myself if I was better positioned.

KOM on this particular hill was 4 minutes faster than me but he is a pro with Katusha and many years my junior so don't feel so bad.

Cheers all.

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Sat Sep 21, 2019 20:09 pm

ibr17xvii wrote:
Shirley Basso wrote:I use the tops. Opens the body up to breathe better and something to pull against.

Careful of lifting front wheel

This is what I struggle with on the really steep stuff no matter where I place my hands.

Palms over the top of the hoods and sit at the front of the saddle.

balthazar

Postby balthazar » Sun Sep 22, 2019 09:55 am

Wayne Plunger wrote:Thanks for all the replies, I am no super cyclist by any means but am a bit of beligurant devil who doesn't know when he is beat and will "get up it" by any means.

On the way up, especially at the 18/19% bits I was alternating between tops and hoods and breathing out of my backside!! That is why I asked the original question, could I have made life a bit easier for myself if I was better positioned.

KOM on this particular hill was 4 minutes faster than me but he is a pro with Katusha and many years my junior so don't feel so bad.

Cheers all.

On at-the-limit efforts like cycling up roads that steep, you end up just doing what comes naturally. Matters of style, such as where to put your hands or contrived ways of breathing, go out the window and you do whatever you can to keep going. Personally, I tend to climb standing more than average, but I also prefer slightly higher climbing gears than average. (I’m still dog-slow though)

If you didn’t watch the Vuelta this year, have a look at some of the steep mountain stages: apart from marvelling at the speed these youngsters can blast up 20% climbs, note that they all have different styles. Some stand most of the way. Others barely leave the saddle. Some are jaws agape and others gritted teeth. All get there well before us lot, nonetheless...

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 21:02 pm

It's not something you think about.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Wayne Plunger

Postby Wayne Plunger » Sun Sep 22, 2019 21:16 pm

thecycleclinic wrote:It's not something you think about.

You may say that but a few people who have responded have said to move further forward on the seat. Was on a hill today, not as steep as previous, but tried this and I found I could definitely get a bit more leverage through the pedals which kept the relative speed up.

Some "expert posters" on here may find this hard to believe but there are some people in the world with a bit of humility who are willing to learn off others with more experience but can also differentiate between the genuine person who is trying to offer help and the know alls.

Svetty

Postby Svetty » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:38 pm

On really steep climbs - Rosedale Chimney, Trooper Lane etc - using the hoods and sitting on the nose of the saddle definitely help keep the front wheel down. On climbs less evil I find sittting upright with hands on the tops does make breathing easier by making me less hunched (abdominal pressure not impeding diaphragm). Aero isn't an issue at 4mph.......
FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D

drlodge

Postby drlodge » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Hands on the top while climbing, except when it gets steep and the front wheel starts to lift, then on the hoods.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Longshot

Postby Longshot » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:50 pm

On really, really steep climbs, I'll go one handed...

...as I walk up.

TonySJ

Postby TonySJ » Mon Sep 23, 2019 14:03 pm

Longshot wrote:On really, really steep climbs, I'll go one handed...

...as I walk up.

:lol:
I tend to sit up hands on top of bars if it's 4 - 8% spinning
On hoods and over the bars more if it's over this.
I find the hoods and out of the saddle leaning slightly forward when things get nasty 15% plus as by this time I'm grinding more and tend to lift the front wheel if I'm not careful.
Wynatts Pass was typical for me and at one point lifted the front wheel sideways about 6" which is not good for your composure lol.
I find if seated and steep I have to focus on not pulling on the bars too much but forcing the legs round. Helps the front wheel stay on the tarmac.
T.

Step83

Postby Step83 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 09:46 am

While not a saddle position, I see quite a few people going past my house (I live on 12% gradient hill) so I get to see all sorts from MTB guys spinning up in some comedy gearing no handed to the idiots that attempted it on fixies and everything between.
There is no set "style" just what ever works long as you get up an over it doesn't matter.

davidof

Postby davidof » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:52 pm

Longshot wrote:On really, really steep climbs, I'll go one handed...

...as I walk up.

You are not on road shoes then, or walking on the dirt at the edge?

I used to ride more on the top of the bars, now I tend to be on the hoods, I think it was a lower back strength thing that changed my position. What does the OP class as steep? The steepest climb I sometimes climb is 15% over 5km which has some challenging ramps hidden in that average.

Anything short and steep and I take it as an opportunity to get out of the saddle and use power to get to the top.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Sep 27, 2019 13:35 pm

Wayne Plunger wrote:... and breathing out of my backside!!.

do you mean farting?

Return to “Road General”