How Much Has Your "Best" Bike Cost You in Pounds per Hour of Usage?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere

How Much Has Your "Best" Bike Cost You in Pounds per Hour of Usage?

£20+ per hour
16%
£10-20 per hour
8%
£5-10 per hour
15%
£2-5 per hour
21%
£1-2 per hour
21%
Less than £1 per hour
19%

Total votes: 62

TimothyW

Re: How Much Has Your "Best" Bike Cost You in Pounds per Hour of Usage?

Postby TimothyW » Fri Aug 30, 2019 18:44 pm

It's interesting that you exclude commuting miles as they are basically how I justify my bike expenses, although I am a daily commuter where perhaps you aren't.

An annual train season ticket for me to get to work is £1,728, which is actually pretty good given I work in London and live outside the M25.

I'm pretty confident I haven't had a year where I've spent that amount on bikes, parts, clothes etc - well, perhaps one or two years ;-) - the more expensive years have been with the benefit of cycle scheme so I'm not paying the full sticker value after tax savings anyway.

I wouldn't consider driving to work - doesn't appeal to me in the least and would cost a small fortune as I'd need to get qualified and pay my first couple of years insurance, in addition to running costs.

Then I factor in that back in the day I used to spend near £50 a month on a gym membership, which I no longer need....

So yeah. Best bike is somewhere around £6 an hour although hard to be exact as bike has been through a couple of upgrades since it was new - it was £900 on cyclescheme but then had new 105 on it and some nicer wheels. It's cheaper than going to the pub, certainly....

Crescent

Postby Crescent » Fri Aug 30, 2019 19:13 pm

mrfpb wrote:Remember that you save 25p per mile by bike vs. car commuting (going by the taxman's allowances of 20p vs 45p per mile) so your bike is probably earning you money.

Ergo, the more bikes you have, the more money you are making.

Perhaps it can be proven mathematically : N+1 = (£+ 0.25) x D
(D= distance; N = bikes; £= money)
Where (N+1) < (S-1)

Maths and Latin, so it must be true. :)
Ribble Gran Fondo
Bianchi Impulso
BMC Teammachine

“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells
Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Slowmart

Postby Slowmart » Fri Aug 30, 2019 19:31 pm

Smiles per mile is the only measure that matters

Everything else is superfluous as there are no pockets in a shroud.
And God created the bicycle, so that man could use it as a means for work and to help him negotiate life's complicated journey.

Alejandrosdog

Postby Alejandrosdog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 20:00 pm

8k 5 years ago so 40000 miles +

Cheap as chips even adding in chains cassettes and the odd bartape and cables.

BuckMulligan

Postby BuckMulligan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 06:49 am

Thanks for all of the replies and votes!

TimothyW wrote:It's interesting that you exclude commuting miles as they are basically how I justify my bike expenses, although I am a daily commuter where perhaps you aren't.

I thought excluding commuter bikes (not necessarily commuter miles if you do them on your good bike!) would be best because, as I mentioned in the OP, I think most people will have a beater bike that we traded for two buttons and a mars bar that has been going on year-after-year. And paradoxically, I suspect most people spend the least time on the nice bikes that cost them the most.

I am a daily commuter, I have a bike-train-bike commute, the first leg to the station on my own beater bike and the last on the Boris Bikes around London. Doing the maths for both of those is quite interesting; my beater costs £250 and only racking up 20 mins per day means I'm still only just under £2 per hour; the Boris bikes are £90 per year, so at 40 mins per day for say 180 working days per year (exc. rainy and lazy days where I catch the tube!) we're talking 75p per hour, so comfortably the cheapest out of all of my options, but obviously I have zero equity in that.

Slowmart wrote:Smiles per mile is the only measure that matters

Everything else is superfluous as there are no pockets in a shroud.

Whilst I think this is a laudable philosophy, I think most people will rationalise things based on cost and not spend every last penny that they have available on a new bike. I was wondering where people draw that line in their head and how it actually pans out in reality.

If you do truly live life based on this philosophy, you can vote based on where your smiles-per-pound metric starts to trend downwards :wink:

NitrousOxide

Postby NitrousOxide » Sun Sep 01, 2019 07:52 am

Roughly just under £2 for ~2.3 years of ownership if I've worked it out correctly, excluding clothing; consumeables (tyres, chain cassettes, disc pads); component "upgrades;" accessories (GPS, turbo etc.); jelly babies etc. etc.

And I'm feeling far too woolly/tired to be capable, or even be interested in totting up all those extras besides the bike price right now!
================
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

BuckMulligan

Postby BuckMulligan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 07:57 am

NitrousOxide wrote:And I'm feeling far too woolly/tired to be capable, or even be interested in totting up all those extras besides the bike price right now!

Yeah, all those things definitely add up, especially when you approach the point where your frame is the only original part of your bike left(!) but I thought I'd try to keep it simple; I might have an audit of my email receipts at some point and see just how serious it is!

FatTed

Postby FatTed » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:37 am

40,000 K on my bike so I guess less than a quid per hour

Dannbodge

Postby Dannbodge » Mon Sep 02, 2019 08:27 am

Not including any other kit, I'm around £9 an hour and 35p a km (56p a mile).

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Sep 02, 2019 09:17 am

so far 20,000 Km and an estimated 800 hours... so I guess I am in the £ 1-2 bracket

homers double

Postby homers double » Mon Sep 02, 2019 09:29 am

Advocate of disc brakes.

Step83

Postby Step83 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 09:36 am

£16.94 per hour :lol: in my defence I'm going on my ridden distance this year so far, going on last years distance it would be about £6, had a lot going on.

If I did this year on my turbo bike it would be like 80p an hour.

Either way, bike makes me happy an helps with my stress, something you cant put a price on in my opinion.

cowboyjon

Postby cowboyjon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:10 am

Almost nothing I can do regarding the cost of my bikes and gear (within reason) can come close to touching the amount of money I have thrown away over the years on motorcycles.

The way I see it I'm winning regardless and I'm lucky in that the wife sees it that way too

SurferCyclist

Postby SurferCyclist » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:37 pm

cowboyjon wrote:Almost nothing I can do regarding the cost of my bikes and gear (within reason) can come close to touching the amount of money I have thrown away over the years on motorcycles.

The way I see it I'm winning regardless and I'm lucky in that the wife sees it that way too

Yep - you want to try scuba diving. Now that is a way to spend money on a hobby!

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Mon Sep 02, 2019 13:19 pm

My best bike is an MTB, it arrived on Friday so it works out at about £600/hr at the moment...

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Mon Sep 02, 2019 14:19 pm

About £3/hr. Less than £2 if you forget about the replacement wheels, power meter, consumables etc. Pretty happy with that, as it saves me £8/hr when I commute on it.
and then the next thing you know

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon Sep 02, 2019 14:41 pm

Hmm - £/hr - or £/mile - because if you go for £/hr then the faster you go the more expensive it becomes ...

anyway - can't really give a true figure because I've upgraded the groupset, replaced replacables and bought spares - for which I have no tally - and couldn't really because the groupset trickled down to the winter bike - so what value to put on there? Wheels have been swapped around & replaced.

It's a bike, I like riding it - £/hr - not enough, I'd like to spend more on it - in both money and time

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Mon Sep 02, 2019 14:58 pm

Slowbike wrote:Hmm - £/hr - or £/mile - because if you go for £/hr then the faster you go the more expensive it becomes ...

As a leisure activity, £/hr makes an easier comparison with other ways you might choose to spend the short time we have on this planet.
and then the next thing you know

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Mon Sep 02, 2019 15:11 pm

I love riding my bike so much I couldn't care less (within reason). My justification for owning them is how much I can afford to blow at any one time without crying, or the OH leaving me

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon Sep 02, 2019 15:16 pm

KingstonGraham wrote:
Slowbike wrote:Hmm - £/hr - or £/mile - because if you go for £/hr then the faster you go the more expensive it becomes ...

As a leisure activity, £/hr makes an easier comparison with other ways you might choose to spend the short time we have on this planet.

I sail as well - it doesn't compare! :lol:

Return to “Road General”