HRM Monitor and Hairy Chest

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Matt_N

Re: HRM Monitor and Hairy Chest

Postby Matt_N » Tue Jul 09, 2019 06:08 am

BongoBiggins wrote:Do you wash it regularly? I think a buildup of salts can interfere with the sensors. I put mine in the wash once or twice a week and rinse after every use. Never had any issues with mine but I don't have a hairy chest.

I usually wet the sensors with a bit of water beforehand.

Where on the chest do you wear the strap. I seem to think Garmin recommends below the chest but I always wear mine above the nipples and seems to work fine. It might be worth trying a few different places and see what works best.

If it’s a Garmin soft strap I’d agree with the above, they (or mine at least) needs to be washed every 2 weeks or the readings start dropping off, start of rides in particular.

I’ve got a couple of cheap eBay straps and they’re fine!
Colnago Master Olympic
Colnago CLX 3.0
Colnago Dream
Giant Trinity Advanced
Italian steel winter hack

davebradswmb

Postby davebradswmb » Tue Jul 09, 2019 09:52 am

It does seem that the Garmin soft strap is troublesome, it is the only strap that you regularly read complaints about. I have a hairy chest and when I started having trouble with the Garmin strap I bought a Decathlon HRM and I've had no problems since. And it comes with the added bonus of bluetooth so I can us it with my phone too.

Motogull

Postby Motogull » Thu Jul 11, 2019 21:00 pm

Draw a line top and bottom of where the strap goes and shave or wax a band correspondingly. Job done.

Tyke999

Postby Tyke999 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 22:09 pm

I have a Garmin HRM and find that if I wet the contacts on the band -- it works ok....hairy chest...nope...sorry haven't got one.

Tyke999

Postby Tyke999 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 22:10 pm

davebradswmb wrote:It does seem that the Garmin soft strap is troublesome, it is the only strap that you regularly read complaints about. I have a hairy chest and when I started having trouble with the Garmin strap I bought a Decathlon HRM and I've had no problems since. And it comes with the added bonus of bluetooth so I can us it with my phone too.

will the decathlon HRM pair with a garmin edge ok?

wongataa

Postby wongataa » Fri Jul 12, 2019 16:37 pm

Tyke999 wrote:
davebradswmb wrote:It does seem that the Garmin soft strap is troublesome, it is the only strap that you regularly read complaints about. I have a hairy chest and when I started having trouble with the Garmin strap I bought a Decathlon HRM and I've had no problems since. And it comes with the added bonus of bluetooth so I can us it with my phone too.

will the decathlon HRM pair with a garmin edge ok?

Any ANT+ HRM device should work just fine with a Garmin.

cougie

Postby cougie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 19:11 pm

I've had the decathlon strap and monitor for the last couple of years with my Garmins. No problem at all.

parmos

Postby parmos » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:19 am

i had a issue earlier in the year with the garmin HR strap giving spurious results and not giving me accurate readings until a few miles in so i shaved a band across my chest and bingo it worked perfectly so then just shaved it all off and now 6-8 months later i'm back with the full rug bingo my HR strap is playing funny buggers again so time for another shave.

Sutton Rider

Postby Sutton Rider » Sun Oct 13, 2019 15:46 pm

+1 for wot PP said.
http://www.qsl.net/g4gvb
Carrera Virtuoso - 2015
Focus Cayo Ultegra Di2 - 2016
ex Giant Defy 1 - 2015

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Oct 14, 2019 06:57 am

Edit - posted the wrong link