Any good cycling books (biography, cycling history)

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Ridgeway Swiss

Re: Any good cycling books (biography, cycling history)

Postby Ridgeway Swiss » Mon Apr 01, 2019 21:25 pm

Wow tons of reading here !!!

I wonder if we read more than we ride :lol:

Thanks for all the ideas.

LakesLuddite

Postby LakesLuddite » Tue Apr 02, 2019 13:40 pm

Chris Boardman's autobiography 'Triumphs and Turbulence' is good - much better than I thought it would be.
I'd also recommend anything by William Fotheringham - many of which have already been recommended, also his brother Alasdair has written a few good ones - he tends to focus on Spanish subjects such as Luis Ocana and Indurain.
Ned Boulting's books are always a good read, mostly about the TdF and his exploits covering the race.
David Millar two biographical books are really good, as have been recommended above.
If you want something cycling related but not about pro-racing, then Tim Moore's 'French Revolutions', ''Gironimo' and 'The Cyclist who went out in the Cold' are really good as well.

Ben6899

Postby Ben6899 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 15:11 pm

There's also "Ventoux" - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16000713-ventoux

And Bjarne Riis' autobiography is a bit of an insight into Narcissistic Personality Disorder...
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

borisface

Postby borisface » Tue Apr 02, 2019 20:38 pm

Unfortunately, most cycling books are not very well written sports biographies which are little more than a list of a riders achievements, impressive though they may be. IMO exceptions are Jean Bobet's tomorrow we ride, Juliana Buhring's The Road I Ride, Herbie Sykes' The Race Against the Stasi about an east German cycling champ who defected after a race, John Foot's Pedalare, Pedalare is a solid history of Italian cycling, and Laurent Fignon's When We Were Young and Carefree is wonderfully poignant.

Not so much cycling history or biogs of the greats but Alaistair Humphries books Moods of Future Joys, and Tom Allen's Janapar are fantastic. Tom Kevill Davies' A Hungry Cyclist is worth a look, especially if you're a foodie.

Big Harv

Postby Big Harv » Tue Apr 02, 2019 20:39 pm

Victoria Pendleton, Between the Lines. Some raw stuff in here, most now know better than to call her er...flaky.

Dabber

Postby Dabber » Tue Apr 02, 2019 21:20 pm

Some good suggestions.....
I haven't read through the whole thread so someone may have already mentioned it but...

Three Weeks, Eight Seconds: The Epic Tour de France of 1989 by Nige Tassell... all about Lemond and Fignon battle in 1989

This one really worked for me and I liked the format.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Giant Defy 3/Specialized Roubaix Pro/Calibre Bossnut

philbar72

Postby philbar72 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 13:32 pm

we were young and carefree - Fignons book. he was a complicated chap that one. bloody good bike rider though.

aclivity

Postby aclivity » Wed Apr 03, 2019 13:40 pm

Shirley Basso wrote:Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle by Dervla Murphy

This. 100% this.

I read this about 40 years ago, it is still where my mind goes whenever people talk about a cycling book.

Also - the one about Tom Simpson that I found in a second hand shop... Not sure what it was called though?

meursault

Postby meursault » Fri Apr 05, 2019 15:16 pm

Think I'll get The Sykes on the Stasi one, right up my street. Though prefer defecting the other way...
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Crescent

Postby Crescent » Fri Apr 05, 2019 19:41 pm

Very specific to a schoolboy hero of mine but "In search of Robert Millar" by Richard Moore is excellent.
I also enjoyed both of David Millar's books.
Ned Boulting's "How I won the yellow jumper" is good but I found his later offerings less enjoyable.
Chris Boardman's autobiography is very good - he has a very dry sense of humour and I was unaware of just how much involvement he had behind the scenes in the success of British Cycling over the last 10-15 years.
Rob Penn's "It's all about the bike" is a good read - it inspired me to build my own bike. I think there is a short film based on it as well.
Ribble Gran Fondo
Bianchi Impulso
BMC Teammachine

“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells
Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Apr 11, 2019 09:39 am

Crescent wrote:Rob Penn's "It's all about the bike" is a good read - it inspired me to build my own bike. I think there is a short film based on it as well.

Whis is awaste of time... I assembled myself quite a few bikes over the years (build is a big word, it would imply making the frame as well)... none of them was better than an off the peg Specialized Allez

TimothyW

Postby TimothyW » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:39 am

An off the peg specialized for me would have bars too wide, no power cranks and wheels that past experience would suggest won't last 500 miles. Probably also wouldn't have my preferred gearing.

Plus an off the peg specialized is much more appealing to thieves, easier to move.

Plus I like assembling bikes, so getting someone else to do it loses part of the fun...

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Apr 13, 2019 07:02 am

TimothyW wrote:An off the peg specialized for me would have bars too wide, no power cranks and wheels that past experience would suggest won't last 500 miles. Probably also wouldn't have my preferred gearing.

Plus an off the peg specialized is much more appealing to thieves, easier to move.

Plus I like assembling bikes, so getting someone else to do it loses part of the fun...

Mine was fine.
I can see the thief waiting outside the cafe for his favourite brand to appear... or breaking into your garage, but ignoring your obscure, yet expensive, branded bikes... I can really see that... :wink:

WiznaeMe

Postby WiznaeMe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 09:17 am

Crescent wrote:Very specific to a schoolboy hero of mine but "In search of Robert Millar" by Richard Moore is excellent.

One of my favourites too. Well written and occasionally very funny.

Tiesetrotter

Postby Tiesetrotter » Sat Apr 13, 2019 14:51 pm

Phil Gaimon's books are very good

daverow

Postby daverow » Sat Apr 13, 2019 20:07 pm

1. The Death of Marco Pantani : Matt Rendell - Humbling and heartfelt objective journalism.

2. The Rider : Tim Krabbe : Fantastically written and, if you've ever raced, this will echo with you.

3. We were young and carefree - Laurent Fignon : You can smell the onions and garlic coming off the pages. FANTASTIQUE!

Honourable Mention: It's not about the bike : Lord Voldemort.

FWIW: I thought 'The Hour' by Michael Hutchinson was absolutely atrocious. I study in how to fail to prepare fro one of the hardest challenges of your life. from getting his training wrong to failing to ensure his equipment was accurately sized, it's a study in incompetence. No doubt a good rider, writer and denizen of the cycling community but a professional?... methinks not.

pnmorgan

Postby pnmorgan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 20:23 pm

Another vote for Phil Gaimon's books and French Revolutions by Tim Moore.

part time waster

Postby part time waster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 17:02 pm

A dog in a hat is my all time favorite. Seems quiet an honest account of pro riding in the 90's by an average American rider. He was still a pro Mind . Well done Joe Parkin . Lived his dream

shiznit76

Postby shiznit76 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 09:28 am

George Hincapie's is actually quite good.

G's and Peter Sagan's were terrible

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:53 am

daverow wrote:
FWIW: I thought 'The Hour' by Michael Hutchinson was absolutely atrocious. I study in how to fail to prepare fro one of the hardest challenges of your life. from getting his training wrong to failing to ensure his equipment was accurately sized, it's a study in incompetence. No doubt a good rider, writer and denizen of the cycling community but a professional?... methinks not.

No doubt you would have done better. I think he made quite clear things didn't go his way all along... logistics weren't simple... but as I said, I'm sure you would have done a better job of it, your palmares speaks for itself.
The book is very good, I read it twice, passed it on to friends who all enjoyed it

Return to “Road General”