Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
mamil314
Posts: 1129
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 17:48 pm

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby mamil314 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:06 am

Ah shucks so in the end they had to change from pod to pedal. It's a shame, really wanted them to succeed

User avatar
Chris Bass
Posts: 4872
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 09:19 am

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby Chris Bass » Thu May 09, 2019 14:07 pm

I can't see them ever getting these to market, was listening to DC rainmaker and Shane Miller's podcast and they were very sceptical about it all and they have far more experience in this stuff than most
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Daniel B
Posts: 8543
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby Daniel B » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 am

Just confirmed my address details this morning for shipping.

Don't know when shipping will be, and also no App showing up on Google Play yet to calibrate it.

Will update when it arrives, and how I get on with it \ weight etc etc, and how it compares with my Vector 2 pedals and Neo.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

User avatar
jacemano
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 14:05 pm

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby jacemano » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:55 pm

Daniel B wrote:Just confirmed my address details this morning for shipping.

Don't know when shipping will be, and also no App showing up on Google Play yet to calibrate it.

Will update when it arrives, and how I get on with it \ weight etc etc, and how it compares with my Vector 2 pedals and Neo.


As a guy on the lookout for a cheapy power meter I'm waiting with baited breath to see how this turns out

TimothyW
Posts: 2385
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:15 am

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby TimothyW » Wed Sep 11, 2019 13:10 pm

Different price range but SRM have an MTB pedal powermeter coming soon if the IQ2 doesn't work out...
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/srm ... r-srm.html

and it mentions in the post that the shimano mtb SPD standard is out of patent so there should be more power pedals in that standard forthcoming.

Good news for me anyway, being all SPD.

Daniel B
Posts: 8543
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby Daniel B » Wed Sep 18, 2019 15:13 pm

Hi all,

The final product has been successfully assembled. It feels great to finally be able to ride with our power meter and we can't wait to send you yours!

We originally estimated first deliveries in September. We've decided to dedicate an extra month (until the end of October) to finetune all individual components of the final assembly so that we can guarantee the highest possible quality. Here are some indoor pictures of the final product, which are currently undergoing surface finishing with a different texture.


Image
Image
Image

By the time I receive mine the bike these are ultimately destined for will be in hibernation for the winter, so not sure if I'll pop them on a winter bike or something.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

User avatar
Chris Bass
Posts: 4872
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 09:19 am

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby Chris Bass » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:28 am

that "extra month" is a bit worrying - if they are confident they are accurate/reliable then why the extra month? if not then if they find a problem i can't see a month being long enough to put it right!

until they hit the market and users have been riding with them and testing them i think i'll remain sceptical
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

User avatar
darkhairedlord
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 13:03 pm

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby darkhairedlord » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:58 am

Chris Bass wrote:that "extra month" is a bit worrying - if they are confident they are accurate/reliable then why the extra month? if not then if they find a problem i can't see a month being long enough to put it right!

until they hit the market and users have been riding with them and testing them i think i'll remain sceptical

You would think the bank would pull the plug by now.

User avatar
Chris Bass
Posts: 4872
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 09:19 am

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby Chris Bass » Mon Sep 23, 2019 08:39 am

darkhairedlord wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:that "extra month" is a bit worrying - if they are confident they are accurate/reliable then why the extra month? if not then if they find a problem i can't see a month being long enough to put it right!

until they hit the market and users have been riding with them and testing them i think i'll remain sceptical

You would think the bank would pull the plug by now.


thats the beauty of crowd funding - playing with other people's money!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

User avatar
thegreatdivide
Posts: 5243
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:10 am

Daniel B wrote:
Hi all,

The final product has been successfully assembled. It feels great to finally be able to ride with our power meter and we can't wait to send you yours!

We originally estimated first deliveries in September. We've decided to dedicate an extra month (until the end of October) to finetune all individual components of the final assembly so that we can guarantee the highest possible quality. Here are some indoor pictures of the final product, which are currently undergoing surface finishing with a different texture.


Image
Image
Image

By the time I receive mine the bike these are ultimately destined for will be in hibernation for the winter, so not sure if I'll pop them on a winter bike or something.


I really hope they’re putting some kind of metal plate or bits of metal on that pedal body. If that’s just plastic or some kind of composite, it’ll get mashed in no time!
#f*ckwit

Daniel B
Posts: 8543
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby Daniel B » Mon Sep 23, 2019 13:07 pm

oh yeh, valid point - will let you know what turns up!
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

User avatar
thegreatdivide
Posts: 5243
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Sep 23, 2019 14:29 pm

Some of their other pics show a metal plate, so I reckon it'll be fine.
#f*ckwit

User avatar
darkhairedlord
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 13:03 pm

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby darkhairedlord » Wed Sep 25, 2019 07:01 am

thegreatdivide wrote:
Daniel B wrote:
Hi all,

The final product has been successfully assembled. It feels great to finally be able to ride with our power meter and we can't wait to send you yours!

We originally estimated first deliveries in September. We've decided to dedicate an extra month (until the end of October) to finetune all individual components of the final assembly so that we can guarantee the highest possible quality. Here are some indoor pictures of the final product, which are currently undergoing surface finishing with a different texture.


Image
Image
Image

By the time I receive mine the bike these are ultimately destined for will be in hibernation for the winter, so not sure if I'll pop them on a winter bike or something.


I really hope they’re putting some kind of metal plate or bits of metal on that pedal body. If that’s just plastic or some kind of composite, it’ll get mashed in no time!

That's a sheet load of Q

Daniel B
Posts: 8543
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby Daniel B » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:36 am

darkhairedlord wrote:That's a sheet load of Q


This is what they claimed back in May:
We have decided upon a Keo-compatible road pedal. An advantage of this is the disappearance of the controversial increased Q factor


I have Look Keos I can compare with upon arrival.

Just scanned back through all the subsequent updates, and there seems to be no mention that this has changed.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

TimothyW
Posts: 2385
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:15 am

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby TimothyW » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:41 am

Having had a glance at these look's on wiggle:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-classic-3black-38nm/

darkhairedlord wrote:That's a sheet load of Q

That's a sheet load of FUD.

Daniel B
Posts: 8543
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby Daniel B » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:49 am

TimothyW wrote:Having had a glance at these look's on wiggle:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-classic-3black-38nm/

darkhairedlord wrote:That's a sheet load of Q

That's a sheet load of FUD.


??

Image
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18


Daniel B
Posts: 8543
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby Daniel B » Tue Oct 15, 2019 13:44 pm

Dear all,

As indicated in our last update three weeks ago, we’ve started production. This part of the journey includes tackling the last hiccups to a successful high-quality product. Team members have been flying out to several countries to oversee and finetune all components and assembly lines at our production partners and factories. We apologize for the 3+ week wait. Here’s what we encountered:

#1 Our plastic pedal parts needed a minor adaptation. This means that the plastic injection molds (made of steel) that create these parts need to be modified. We have successfully done so and this adaptation will give us a two-week delay.

#2 The bearings and sealing we used needed some improvement. To this end, we have involved high-quality bearings producer SKF to help us out. They are now supplying us with their bearings and have begun a custom production of rotary seals specifically for the iQsquare pedal power meter. Very grateful to them!
These seals, specially made for iQsquare, differ 0,05 mm per sample, so we can now look and see which one fills up that miniature interior space to perfection.
Selecting the best fit.

#3 Remember this picture from the last update indicating we were tuning the antenna? We concluded these tests (see test results below) and adjusted the PCB accordingly.
Bluetooth and ANT+ antenna measurements after tuning the antenna.

In summary, October 25th is the date our productions partners tell us these parts will arrive. And then when we finally begin assembly, we will still perform a couple of final tests to make sure the end-product functions according to what we envisioned. However, our team and you as backer have come to find out the hard way that it doesn’t always happen so smoothly, so we don’t want to make the mistake of mentioning any final dates right now. One step at a time it seems, but we’re definitely moving.

DC Rainmaker summarized it well when he said: “There’s a long trail of companies that have tried and failed to develop power meters. And many that have succeeded. And every…single…one of them has had delays and complexities along the way (yes, even SRM). No matter the money invested (Garmin), or the time in the industry (PowerTap or Quarq). Making power meters is far more difficult than people realize.”

But luckily he also observed this: “I have zero question in my mind he’ll (Keesjan Klant) be able to pull this off. But, like Elon Musk, I suspect he’s underestimating the difficulties in this product and the timelines involved. He’ll get there, and the product will likely be great in the end. But, it probably just won’t happen when you think it will. On the bright side, a power meter is generally considered easier than re-landing rockets on a floating platform in the ocean.”

We’ll write as soon as there’s more to post!


So end of the year I guess.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

User avatar
darkhairedlord
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 13:03 pm

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby darkhairedlord » Tue Oct 15, 2019 19:20 pm

Daniel B wrote:
Dear all,

As indicated in our last update three weeks ago, we’ve started production. This part of the journey includes tackling the last hiccups to a successful high-quality product. Team members have been flying out to several countries to oversee and finetune all components and assembly lines at our production partners and factories. We apologize for the 3+ week wait. Here’s what we encountered:

#1 Our plastic pedal parts needed a minor adaptation. This means that the plastic injection molds (made of steel) that create these parts need to be modified. We have successfully done so and this adaptation will give us a two-week delay.

#2 The bearings and sealing we used needed some improvement. To this end, we have involved high-quality bearings producer SKF to help us out. They are now supplying us with their bearings and have begun a custom production of rotary seals specifically for the iQsquare pedal power meter. Very grateful to them!
These seals, specially made for iQsquare, differ 0,05 mm per sample, so we can now look and see which one fills up that miniature interior space to perfection.
Selecting the best fit.

#3 Remember this picture from the last update indicating we were tuning the antenna? We concluded these tests (see test results below) and adjusted the PCB accordingly.
Bluetooth and ANT+ antenna measurements after tuning the antenna.

In summary, October 25th is the date our productions partners tell us these parts will arrive. And then when we finally begin assembly, we will still perform a couple of final tests to make sure the end-product functions according to what we envisioned. However, our team and you as backer have come to find out the hard way that it doesn’t always happen so smoothly, so we don’t want to make the mistake of mentioning any final dates right now. One step at a time it seems, but we’re definitely moving.

DC Rainmaker summarized it well when he said: “There’s a long trail of companies that have tried and failed to develop power meters. And many that have succeeded. And every…single…one of them has had delays and complexities along the way (yes, even SRM). No matter the money invested (Garmin), or the time in the industry (PowerTap or Quarq). Making power meters is far more difficult than people realize.”

But luckily he also observed this: “I have zero question in my mind he’ll (Keesjan Klant) be able to pull this off. But, like Elon Musk, I suspect he’s underestimating the difficulties in this product and the timelines involved. He’ll get there, and the product will likely be great in the end. But, it probably just won’t happen when you think it will. On the bright side, a power meter is generally considered easier than re-landing rockets on a floating platform in the ocean.”

We’ll write as soon as there’s more to post!


So end of the year I guess.

Just in time for brexit import delays...

User avatar
Chris Bass
Posts: 4872
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 09:19 am

Re: Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Postby Chris Bass » Wed Oct 16, 2019 09:25 am

Daniel B wrote:
Dear all,

As indicated in our last update three weeks ago, we’ve started production. This part of the journey includes tackling the last hiccups to a successful high-quality product. Team members have been flying out to several countries to oversee and finetune all components and assembly lines at our production partners and factories. We apologize for the 3+ week wait. Here’s what we encountered:

#1 Our plastic pedal parts needed a minor adaptation. This means that the plastic injection molds (made of steel) that create these parts need to be modified. We have successfully done so and this adaptation will give us a two-week delay.

#2 The bearings and sealing we used needed some improvement. To this end, we have involved high-quality bearings producer SKF to help us out. They are now supplying us with their bearings and have begun a custom production of rotary seals specifically for the iQsquare pedal power meter. Very grateful to them!
These seals, specially made for iQsquare, differ 0,05 mm per sample, so we can now look and see which one fills up that miniature interior space to perfection.
Selecting the best fit.

#3 Remember this picture from the last update indicating we were tuning the antenna? We concluded these tests (see test results below) and adjusted the PCB accordingly.
Bluetooth and ANT+ antenna measurements after tuning the antenna.

In summary, October 25th is the date our productions partners tell us these parts will arrive. And then when we finally begin assembly, we will still perform a couple of final tests to make sure the end-product functions according to what we envisioned. However, our team and you as backer have come to find out the hard way that it doesn’t always happen so smoothly, so we don’t want to make the mistake of mentioning any final dates right now. One step at a time it seems, but we’re definitely moving.

DC Rainmaker summarized it well when he said: “There’s a long trail of companies that have tried and failed to develop power meters. And many that have succeeded. And every…single…one of them has had delays and complexities along the way (yes, even SRM). No matter the money invested (Garmin), or the time in the industry (PowerTap or Quarq). Making power meters is far more difficult than people realize.”

But luckily he also observed this: “I have zero question in my mind he’ll (Keesjan Klant) be able to pull this off. But, like Elon Musk, I suspect he’s underestimating the difficulties in this product and the timelines involved. He’ll get there, and the product will likely be great in the end. But, it probably just won’t happen when you think it will. On the bright side, a power meter is generally considered easier than re-landing rockets on a floating platform in the ocean.”

We’ll write as soon as there’s more to post!


So end of the year I guess.


which year?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes


Return to “Road General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests