Majorca, I love it.

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
MissedTheBreak
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 am

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby MissedTheBreak » Wed May 16, 2018 11:20 am

Resurrecting an old thread.

I’m heading out in early June for two weeks and have hired a road bike from Max Hurzueler (sp?) for a week in the middle. I’m staying near Santa Margalida which i understand is a bit further down the coast than is typical for cycling. Has anyone stayed there and cycled up to the north, is it doable in a morning to get to the likes of Cap Formentor one day and Sa Calobra on another? Are there any decent routes around there for a rest day ride in between?

Cheers

PBlakeney
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 22:37 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby PBlakeney » Wed May 16, 2018 11:43 am

MissedTheBreak wrote:Resurrecting an old thread.

I’m heading out in early June for two weeks and have hired a road bike from Max Hurzueler (sp?) for a week in the middle. I’m staying near Santa Margalida which i understand is a bit further down the coast than is typical for cycling. Has anyone stayed there and cycled up to the north, is it doable in a morning to get to the likes of Cap Formentor one day and Sa Calobra on another? Are there any decent routes around there for a rest day ride in between?

Cheers

Easy doable in a day but you'd likely be on Sa Colabra at the same time as the tour buses.
Possibly in a morning with a dawn start and get a move on. Approx. hilly 52km each way.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Dinyull
Posts: 2998
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 22:02 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby Dinyull » Wed May 16, 2018 11:56 am

PBlakeney wrote:
MissedTheBreak wrote:Resurrecting an old thread.

I’m heading out in early June for two weeks and have hired a road bike from Max Hurzueler (sp?) for a week in the middle. I’m staying near Santa Margalida which i understand is a bit further down the coast than is typical for cycling. Has anyone stayed there and cycled up to the north, is it doable in a morning to get to the likes of Cap Formentor one day and Sa Calobra on another? Are there any decent routes around there for a rest day ride in between?

Cheers

Easy doable in a day but you'd likely be on Sa Colabra at the same time as the tour buses.
Possibly in a morning with a dawn start and get a move on. Approx. hilly 52km each way.


This. When I did Sa Colabra I started in port de soller at crack of dawn. Halfway up Sa Colabra the traffic flow and buses increased massively. You'll have to be up pretty sharp to get a decent run.

Was awesome descending without having to worry about the traffic. An hour or so later and it wouldn't have been much fun.

PBlakeney
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 22:37 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby PBlakeney » Wed May 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Dinyull wrote:
PBlakeney wrote:
MissedTheBreak wrote:Resurrecting an old thread.

I’m heading out in early June for two weeks and have hired a road bike from Max Hurzueler (sp?) for a week in the middle. I’m staying near Santa Margalida which i understand is a bit further down the coast than is typical for cycling. Has anyone stayed there and cycled up to the north, is it doable in a morning to get to the likes of Cap Formentor one day and Sa Calobra on another? Are there any decent routes around there for a rest day ride in between?

Cheers

Easy doable in a day but you'd likely be on Sa Colabra at the same time as the tour buses.
Possibly in a morning with a dawn start and get a move on. Approx. hilly 52km each way.


This. When I did Sa Colabra I started in port de soller at crack of dawn. Halfway up Sa Colabra the traffic flow and buses increased massively. You'll have to be up pretty sharp to get a decent run.

Was awesome descending without having to worry about the traffic. An hour or so later and it wouldn't have been much fun.

As an aside, my favourite trip on Sa Colabra was a late afternoon descent and evening return after doing an Orient and Col de Soller loop. Blissfully quiet.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

MissedTheBreak
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 am

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby MissedTheBreak » Wed May 16, 2018 13:34 pm

Hmm, I have a hire car so maybe I’d be better off driving closer to Sa Calobra early morning so I can get up and down before the tourist buses, just mainly want to tick it off since I’m there. It’ll easily be the biggest climb I’ve ever done so being fresher will also be a help!

Is Formentor less of a problem in terms of time of day. It looks about 25km away from where I’ll be so figure get there in an hour or so, climb, descend, drink/snack, climb back up, descend and then 25km home. Set off at 7am, back by 12/1ish? Got to appease the family.

MrB123
Posts: 2071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 16:12 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby MrB123 » Wed May 16, 2018 14:04 pm

MissedTheBreak wrote:Hmm, I have a hire car so maybe I’d be better off driving closer to Sa Calobra early morning so I can get up and down before the tourist buses, just mainly want to tick it off since I’m there. It’ll easily be the biggest climb I’ve ever done so being fresher will also be a help!

Is Formentor less of a problem in terms of time of day. It looks about 25km away from where I’ll be so figure get there in an hour or so, climb, descend, drink/snack, climb back up, descend and then 25km home. Set off at 7am, back by 12/1ish? Got to appease the family.


In my experience the Formentor roadis pretty busy with cars at all times but there are not so many buses on it as Sa Calobra so the descents are still good.

Dinyull
Posts: 2998
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 22:02 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby Dinyull » Wed May 16, 2018 14:05 pm

MissedTheBreak wrote:Hmm, I have a hire car so maybe I’d be better off driving closer to Sa Calobra early morning so I can get up and down before the tourist buses, just mainly want to tick it off since I’m there. It’ll easily be the biggest climb I’ve ever done so being fresher will also be a help!


There is parking at the start of the road down. Saw a few parked up getting their bikes on my way down, and it's a nice little climb up col de reiss (I think it's called) to get warmed up before you descend Sa Calobra.

MissedTheBreak
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 am

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby MissedTheBreak » Wed May 16, 2018 15:28 pm

To be honest, I’m pretty crap at descending so being held up by buses doesn’t concern me massively, saves me being embarrassed holding up cars and other cyclists!

Of those available, and probably only two mornings available for a proper ride, are they the ones to do? Are there places on route to fill up water bottles etc?

Cheers

PBlakeney
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 22:37 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby PBlakeney » Wed May 16, 2018 16:36 pm

For Formentor, there was rumours about it being closed to cars but I think that has been postponed. It may only be a short route but it is one of the most scenic and fairly challenging depending on pace. Especially so if you add on the climb to the top proper at the first climb.
For Sa Colabra you have 4 options.
1. Simply cut out miles by parking in Selva and do all the climbing.
2. Drive to the garage at the top of the Col de Sabatier and miss that climb. Although it is a very nice climb.
3. Drive to the parking at the shed/cafe just at the viaduct.
4. Drive to the top of the Col de Reiss and do only Sa Colabra.

Personally I’d beg for a day pass and do it from Selva and get back asap.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

SloppySchleckonds
Posts: 8179
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 16:25 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Wed May 16, 2018 21:00 pm

Starva route for Formentor, from memory 3 x Cat 3 climbs. Should take an hour or so, so no need to refill bidons.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1602815
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

PBlakeney
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 22:37 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby PBlakeney » Thu May 17, 2018 04:29 am

SloppySchleckonds wrote:Starva route for Formentor, from memory 3 x Cat 3 climbs. Should take an hour or so, so no need to refill bidons.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1602815

Takes me 3 hours with a loop to the top above Pollensa, photo stops and a break at the lighthouse. :oops: And he isn't starting from Port Pollensa.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18545
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby NapoleonD » Thu May 17, 2018 04:59 am

If you have time when doing Sa Calobra, definitely do the Col de Sabataia from Selva, probably my favourite climb on the island.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Alex Taylor (sportstest.co.uk)
ABCC Cycling Coach

User avatar
shazzz
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 18:02 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby shazzz » Thu May 17, 2018 07:52 am

NapoleonD wrote:If you have time when doing Sa Calobra, definitely do the Col de Sabataia from Selva, probably my favourite climb on the island.


Is this the same as Coll de sa Batalla segment below, or something different?
https://www.strava.com/segments/686221

PBlakeney
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 22:37 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby PBlakeney » Thu May 17, 2018 08:41 am

That’ll be the one in my case at least.
I blame spelling and memory failures. :wink:
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

cld531c
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:49 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby cld531c » Thu May 17, 2018 09:18 am

Just got back from Majorca. Didnt bother with Sa Colobra as the descent put me off, particularly seeing how poor the road manners were of a lot of cyclists over there. Loved the Lighthouse ride, enough variation in terrain and scenery to make it interesting. Took ages to get served at the Lighthouse cafe but having set off with no breakfast I needed a Mars bar and Cola! Wasnt that keen on Coll de Femenia, thought it was boring. My favourite rides were the random routes from my Garmin, roads may not have been as smooth as the well trodden paths but they were quiet and pretty with some short sharp climbs (although it did take me down an off road track and to a national park that was closed so beware!) Enjoy

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18545
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby NapoleonD » Thu May 17, 2018 10:16 am

shazzz wrote:
NapoleonD wrote:If you have time when doing Sa Calobra, definitely do the Col de Sabataia from Selva, probably my favourite climb on the island.


Is this the same as Coll de sa Batalla segment below, or something different?
https://www.strava.com/segments/686221


Yeah. Seen it spelt so many different ways!
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Alex Taylor (sportstest.co.uk)
ABCC Cycling Coach

gdf
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 09:49 am

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby gdf » Thu May 17, 2018 10:28 am

I was out there the first week of May. Also was there the same time last year. With was the Mrs. so to compromise what we each wanted out of the holiday I was leaving early in the morning each day. It's also not as hot early on either, probably an even bigger advantage if you're going in June. Did Sa Calobra twice, and depending on what route I took I was at the top (to descend down) between 8:45 - 9:15 am. At these hours you've got the roads pretty much to yourself. Less than 10 cyclists between PP and there. One or two cars on Sa Calobra it's self, just those of the people working in the cafes at the bottom on their way in. I didn't hang around for too long at the bottom, so was heading back up the climb anytime around 9:15 - 10:15 and you'll see it slowly get busier. More bikes than cars though and still very quiet. As for the lighthouse ride, same thing. Left at 7am, and I was back to have breakfast at the hotel at 9 (staying on PP). Roads were real quiet. A few cars and a few other people on their bikes, but not enough to spoil the enjoyment of it.

I'd definitely recommend heading out as early as you can. One thing to consider though is that if you're planning on stopping somewhere for food or even places just to fill up your water bottles you might struggle. Shops and restaurants aren't always open at these times. One of the places in Sa Calobra was just about open last year around 9:30 to get a sandwich and a drink. The staff were setting everything up for the day but I was able to get something from there but choices were limited. And theres a stall at the viaduct. The guy only sets up around 9:30 so wasn't open on my way to Sa Calobra but was open by the time I was back over it, to top up your bottles or whatever. I'd guess the petrol station at Lluc is open around this time too.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip.

MissedTheBreak
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 am

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby MissedTheBreak » Thu May 17, 2018 11:46 am

Great thanks.

I think from all the feedback, and having just planned some routes on Strava, I’d be better off driving to PP (for Cap) and Pollensa (for Sa Calobra). Both then still challenging routes with lots of climbing but less of the dull flat miles beforehand which added a couple of hours at least on to the rides.

Are there plenty of places to park in both, or can someone recommend anywhere so I can just drop the car off and crack on?

Cheers

PBlakeney
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 22:37 pm

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby PBlakeney » Thu May 17, 2018 11:54 am

Can't specify parking but there will be plenty.
For Sa Colabra, I'd plan a route up from Pollensa through Campanet to Selva (there is also shortcut small roads to bypass Selva) and up, then after Sa Colabra descend down Coll de Femenia if time allows. A cracking climb and a fast sweeping descent.
That is my favourite short morning loop from Port Pollensa. Without Sa Colabra. Natch. :wink:
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

MissedTheBreak
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 am

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby MissedTheBreak » Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 pm

I was just going to do an out and back. Is it better to avoid the MA-10?

Route below:
https://www.strava.com/routes/13279383

Also, does anyone know what the MA12 is like to ride. I assume it’s a major road?


Return to “Road General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests