Majorca, I love it.

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
tourdriving

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby tourdriving » Fri Sep 22, 2017 08:43 am

http://www.pinarelloexperience.com/pinarello-hire/ 07470 Port de Pollenca (ROAD) and http://www.2gocycling.com/bicicletas.php 07470 Port de Pollença (ROAD-MTB) also https://www.pollensacycling.com/bikes-rates.php 07470 Puerto de Pollensa (ROAD) Delivery service
https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 46 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC

dazz_ni45

Postby dazz_ni45 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 08:44 am

tourdriving wrote:http://www.pinarelloexperience.com/pinarello-hire/ 07470 Port de Pollenca (ROAD) and http://www.2gocycling.com/bicicletas.php 07470 Port de Pollença (ROAD-MTB) also https://www.pollensacycling.com/bikes-rates.php 07470 Puerto de Pollensa (ROAD) Delivery service

thanks

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Sat Sep 23, 2017 09:19 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for staying in or around Palma? Looking around middle to late October.
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

priory

Postby priory » Sat Sep 23, 2017 23:44 pm

We may do this for the third time this year, check out the cycle tracks and quiet lanes out east to llucmajor and beyond and into palma.:

Postby priory » 08 Nov 2014 22:31
http://www.bikerental-mallorca.com/home
I have nothing to do personally with this shop but would recommend it .

a different, softer, sort of trip:wife booked a hotel (royal cristina)near the the palma beach cycle track . wife is not a mile-eater or hill climber , but makes an excellent companion on holidays nevertheless.we hiredtwo high quality bikes from the shop round the corner , which was this very pleasant and extremely fit ?austrian couple. bikes immaculate , mine was ultegra full set.Perfect fit .
We cycled together into palma or out to luz major on easy roads or flattish tracks , Palma is a nice small city to potter about. markets entertaining places to eat(oliva and santa catalina)
hotel bike park was previously the underground carpark now with a hundred or so bikes in it , including a team .
the area we stayed in was full of germans , some in lederhosen and many quite drunk, but all very pleasant , good atmosphere and lots of all sorts of cycling going on.

When you are near Alaro check out Restauarant Bearne . Really good.

near hotel cristina we liked restaurante paraiso, which incidentally had good free wi-fi
Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Thanks, will have a look

pmannion9

Postby pmannion9 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 am

SloppySchleckonds wrote:Thanks, will have a look

Have stayed in Hotel Helios in Can Pastilla.
Good accommodation and food and bike friendly.
Bus directly available to airport outside. Very short taxi ride.
if oyu have am orning flight can still get a very good ride in on day !.
Bike hire around the corner - Berganti Bikes.
Never stayed in Palma before but wasn't an issue getting out of there each day.
Ideal for short break and no long transfer.
2013 Kinesis Racelight TK3
2011 Cannondale SuperSix
2008 Specialized Allez Elite

thomasmorris

Postby thomasmorris » Thu Sep 28, 2017 15:01 pm

Tartysurfer wrote:Hi All,

Off to Majorca in October for a long weekend riding. Am planning a longer ride on the Saturday (Valldemossa - Puerto Pollenca via the climbs). Was hoping to use the Cycle Shuttle service to get from PP to the start of the ride, but from their timetable they don't do that route on Saturdays. Any recommendations as to other ways to get 2 guys and their bikes to Valldemossa on a Saturday morning in October? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't bother with the one way rides unless you can get the shuttle. I get that you can do more of the north coast in one hit with the shuttle, and it's probably worth the hour in the shuttle to explore further that way if you've never been before. But once you start considering trains you're probably looking more toward 2 hours to get there and that's when for me, I'd probably just prefer to spend the extra time on the bike.

Valldemossa - Puerto Pollenca is like 3.5 hours, plus a conservative 1.5 for travel by train. That's 5 hours of riding time in which
I'd just do the pollenca - lluc - caimari - pollenca loop, then with the time saved in shuttle / train add on bit to Sa Calobra, Cala St Vicenc, Formentor, or a thrash along the flat to one of the interior villages.

Unless you have done all those routes to death and are desperate to get further west... in which case, you might be better just staying somewhere further west (if you haven't booked accommodation yet).

Adskis

Postby Adskis » Wed Oct 04, 2017 08:25 am

Hey BR community,
I'm heading out to Mallorca next week with the family and going to squeeze in a couple of rides.
Anyone going to be out there and fancy a spin out.
We'll be in Port de Pollenca, so maybe MA 10 to Lluc / Soller, that sort of ride. Flexible on days / times.
PM me if you are keen.
Ad

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Wed Oct 04, 2017 14:07 pm

Won’t be able to make it. :wink:
If you make to to Soller then it is uphill home. A major slog/achievement back the way you came, or Col de Soller/Bunyola/Orient loop which is excellent.
Or the shorter Lluc/Col de Sabatier/Campanet loop which is my favourite Short 40ish mile loop although I prefer going the opposite direction with a hairpin ascent and fast sweeping descent.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Adskis

Postby Adskis » Wed Oct 04, 2017 14:23 pm

Thanks PB.
Last year I was out there I managed two rides in the week.
First one was out and back from PdP to Sa Colabra. Amazing 'alpine' roads and scenary.
The other was an inland route. It was pouring with rain and the Tramuntana was covered in fog / mist. So I did a big Petra, Manacor, Arta loop and back up the coast. Mostly flat but interesting.
Just fancied riding with someone this time.
I'll look into that Soller orient loop. Might be a big day though (milage and climbing)
Ad

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Wed Oct 04, 2017 14:33 pm

Adskis wrote:
I'll look into that Soller orient loop. Might be a big day though (milage and climbing)
Ad

Usually around 7000ft and 80 miles. Its great both ways.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Wed Oct 04, 2017 14:36 pm

Usually? Does it change? :lol:
Throw in Valdemossa for a round 100 miles.

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Wed Oct 04, 2017 19:19 pm

PBlakeney wrote:Usually? Does it change? :lol:

There are some nice detours

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Wed Oct 04, 2017 21:09 pm

SloppySchleckonds wrote:
PBlakeney wrote:Usually? Does it change? :lol:

There are some nice detours

Must be cos I am sure Valdemossa is more than a 20 mile detour.
I think he has a few suggested options now though. :lol:

Frank Wilson

Postby Frank Wilson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 am

Just going off on a tangent slightly but was wondering how the local motorists feel about the cyclists on the island. Was looking at some segments yesterday a friend had done and there was something like 180 Strava results just for the one day (over 56K in total). Obviously that 180 is just people on Strava there will be people using other measuring apps and some people not using anything. Makes for a lot of cyclists on the road. Are the locals accepting of it, resigned to it or is there any friction.

Must admit when I cycle in hot climes I go to the Algarve where you are lucky if there are 10 people on a segment on a given day so the motorists are generally good mannered and good natured towards the few cyclists they come across.

Adskis

Postby Adskis » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:14 am

I cant speak with too much authority on this as I have only been out there twice, but I felt very safe. (compared with the usual British fare) I think the locals understand the value of the cycling tourist dollar (sorry - Euro) on the island. Combined with the shear number of riders, I think the locals are great.*

*Please caveat my response with the fact I have been there so little, always cycled alone, and was really chilled about things when there (i.e. on holiday - not commuting, etc).

Svetty

Postby Svetty » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:13 am

The locals are fine - it's the tourists in their hire cars that can be a problem.....
FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Fri Oct 06, 2017 07:44 am

Svetty wrote:The locals are fine - it's the tourists in their hire cars that can be a problem.....

This.

Adskis

Postby Adskis » Fri Oct 06, 2017 08:01 am

Really? I would have thought that most of the tourists in their hire cars are probably cyclists.
Well at least away from Palma anyway. Up around Port de Pollenca.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Fri Oct 06, 2017 08:11 am

Adskis wrote:Really? I would have thought that most of the tourists in their hire cars are probably cyclists.
Well at least away from Palma anyway. Up around Port de Pollenca.

No. I have been dozens of times, mostly spent up in the mountains.
All altercations, and possible altercations (overtaking at blind corners of narrow roads) have been tourist cars. Of those that have spoken, all have been English.

Return to “Road General”