Majorca, I love it.

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
4kicks

Re: Majorca, I love it.

Postby 4kicks » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:21 am

Frankly Soller /Port de Soller means you have to do the same one or two climbs each day to get out of the Valley, Id locate myself, for example, in Alaro, Bunyola, Selva, etc. There are 100s of niche tour companies, many of which dont have a huge experience with local hotels, restaurants and off the beaten track rides and so cant really offer much more than you can do yourself. Big groups, a la Stuart Hall, Trektravel etc etc etc have the advantage of lots of cyclist together but they are real sausage factories.

If you still want to book through a company send me a PM, Ive got a really good couple of companies I know, but I dont like to use public websites to drive publicity, its tacky.
Fitter....healthier....more productive.....

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:25 pm

4kicks wrote:
If you still want to book through a company send me a PM, Ive got a really good couple of companies I know, but I dont like to use public websites to drive publicity, its tacky.

Why is it tacky? If you know and recommend some good companies then why not say so? This thread in this forum is a useful source of information for those looking to go cycling in Majorca. Isn't it a bit like having a helmet thread and then saying, 'I know of a really good helmet, but I'd rather not say what it is.'?

There are many different cycle tour companies in Majorca, for all tastes, styles and budgets. Given that old school (magazine, etc.) advertising no longer works, you have to use every new avenue open to you.

twist83

Postby twist83 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 13:15 pm

As we did in April for Mallorca we will be going self sufficient. I am going with the other half and she isn't a fan of riding in bigger groups. Plus we prefer the flexibility of everything being down to ourselves.

Thanks for the offer and advice though. Much appreciated.

4kicks wrote:Frankly Soller /Port de Soller means you have to do the same one or two climbs each day to get out of the Valley, Id locate myself, for example, in Alaro, Bunyola, Selva, etc. There are 100s of niche tour companies, many of which dont have a huge experience with local hotels, restaurants and off the beaten track rides and so cant really offer much more than you can do yourself. Big groups, a la Stuart Hall, Trektravel etc etc etc have the advantage of lots of cyclist together but they are real sausage factories.

craigr

Postby craigr » Fri Aug 19, 2016 14:16 pm

Pro Cycle Hire at Port Pollensa were great. They do organized rides too. Good cafe as well and helpful staff.
https://www.procyclehire.com/

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Tue Sep 27, 2016 14:46 pm

For anyone that hasn't ridden in Majorca and would like a taste of what it's like;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K93MyiVPWq0

Cyclespeed : The Movie, official release! See how we roll in Mallorca; the roads, the restaurants, the rides, the beaches, and yes, the crashes!!!

dazz_ni45

Postby dazz_ni45 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 16:03 pm

We are heading back to Majorca at the end of April of 6 days cycling staying in Port de Pollenca (Pollentia Club). I have planned routes for the hillier days, but am after suggestions for 2 easier days so probably heading in land. Does anyone have suggesting for nice routes around 50-60 or so miles. Don't mind a bit of climbing, but they are basically recovery days with plenty of coffee stops, quiet roads and nice scenery would be good! Thanks

cgfw201

Postby cgfw201 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 16:26 pm

dazz_ni45 wrote:We are heading back to Majorca at the end of April of 6 days cycling staying in Port de Pollenca (Pollentia Club). I have planned routes for the hillier days, but am after suggestions for 2 easier days so probably heading in land. Does anyone have suggesting for nice routes around 50-60 or so miles. Don't mind a bit of climbing, but they are basically recovery days with plenty of coffee stops, quiet roads and nice scenery would be good! Thanks

Go to Formentor and back. Twice. The road there is amazing.

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Tue Mar 28, 2017 17:14 pm

cgfw201 wrote:
dazz_ni45 wrote:We are heading back to Majorca at the end of April of 6 days cycling staying in Port de Pollenca (Pollentia Club). I have planned routes for the hillier days, but am after suggestions for 2 easier days so probably heading in land. Does anyone have suggesting for nice routes around 50-60 or so miles. Don't mind a bit of climbing, but they are basically recovery days with plenty of coffee stops, quiet roads and nice scenery would be good! Thanks

Go to Formentor and back. Twice. The road there is amazing.

And pan flat?
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Tue Mar 28, 2017 19:21 pm

Formentor doesn't really qualify as 'easy', especially not if you do it twice. It's hilly all the way.

You should head South / South West and climb Randa. It'll be mostly flat there and back, with just Randa as the only significant climb.

It's a big lump of hill in an area where there are no hills so you get great views across the whole island. About 4km at 5% if memory serves correctly. There is a cafe at the top too.

dazz_ni45

Postby dazz_ni45 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 09:02 am

Thanks. Cap Formentor is already in the plans for one of the days as part of a longer route. I'm looking for some quieter inland road. Randa looks good, but may be a little too far but I will map it out and see how it turns out.

Any suggested route for getting down there staying on quieter roads? Via Sineu I assume?

twist83

Postby twist83 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 09:41 am

I have one around that distance I think on my Strava profile from last year.

I cannot get on at work for some reason. I will link it up later. This was departing in P. Pollensa as well.

We are out there from the 24th - 29th April.

dazz_ni45

Postby dazz_ni45 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 09:49 am

twist83 wrote:I have one around that distance I think on my Strava profile from last year.

I cannot get on at work for some reason. I will link it up later. This was departing in P. Pollensa as well.

Thanks. We are there 23-29 April staying at the Pollentia Club

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:43 am

dazz_ni45 wrote:Thanks. Cap Formentor is already in the plans for one of the days as part of a longer route. I'm looking for some quieter inland road. Randa looks good, but may be a little too far but I will map it out and see how it turns out.

Any suggested route for getting down there staying on quieter roads? Via Sineu I assume?

Pollenca, Campanet, Selva, Inca, Sineu, Petra and down to the coast road return for a route without any major climbs?
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Wed Mar 29, 2017 14:27 pm

dazz_ni45 wrote:
twist83 wrote:I have one around that distance I think on my Strava profile from last year.

Liège-Bastogne-Liège is the 23rd, probably on in the Rapha club if its open by then.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Wed Mar 29, 2017 14:41 pm

SloppySchleckonds wrote:
dazz_ni45 wrote:

Liège-Bastogne-Liège is the 23rd, probably on in the Rapha club if its open by then.

It'll be on at the pub opposite the Fergus Hotel. Edit - Palms Bar.
Much easier to get to post ride. :wink:

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Thu Mar 30, 2017 07:19 am

PBlakeney wrote:
SloppySchleckonds wrote:
dazz_ni45 wrote:

It'll be on at the pub opposite the Fergus Hotel. Edit - Palms Bar.
Much easier to get to post ride. :wink:

Will try it, amazed at how many places in PP don't show any cycling

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:38 am

SloppySchleckonds wrote:Will try it, amazed at how many places in PP don't show any cycling

British pub that has the savvy to cater for cyclists during "cycling season", especially with the Fergus just being across the road although probably hit by all-inclusive. Don't bother going in the summer though.

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Thu Mar 30, 2017 22:17 pm

PBlakeney wrote:
SloppySchleckonds wrote:Will try it, amazed at how many places in PP don't show any cycling

British pub that has the savvy to cater for cyclists during "cycling season", especially with the Fergus just being across the road although probably hit by all-inclusive. Don't bother going in the summer though.

Don't usually venture down that far, is that nearly in Alcudia?

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 23:15 pm

Im there from the 25th to 30th the will be 10 in my main group and the same again our semi accepted tri group, the pace will be hard the rides medium long if anyone fancies a big PM me
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Fri Mar 31, 2017 04:16 am

SloppySchleckonds wrote:
PBlakeney wrote:

Don't usually venture down that far, is that nearly in Alcudia?

The Pollentia Park where the other poster is staying is the leisure park half way between Port Pollensa and Alcudia. The Fergus Hotel is the obvious, huge (non planning compliant) hotel in Port Pollensa. Formerly Pollensa Park Hotel.

Return to “Road General”