Secure Shed

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
jds_1981

Re: Secure Shed

Postby jds_1981 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 08:43 am

What I've done is three ground anchors into concrete. These are then surrounded by a wooden rectangle ( a bit like a planter .) Bikes are then stored vertically with rear wheel balanced on the wood beams, front wheel off, forks connected to thru axle -> qr adapters (or suitable) that is fastened in wood on the wall. Long locks can then reach through the frames. Frames can also be locked to each other. This is very space efficient and I hope reasonably secure.

drlodge

Postby drlodge » Fri Sep 13, 2019 13:30 pm

I've heard that thieves will cut up an expensive bike, bin the frame and sell the parts. Therefore its doubtful if any level of security will prevent them from getting at the bike once they're inside the shed. So you need to make entry to the shed nigh on impossible, which is v tough.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Fri Sep 13, 2019 14:06 pm

I disagree. Make your storage conform to insurance conditions then claim when or if it gets stolen. If necessary get all requirements spelt out clearly in a communication with your insurers. If they then try anything on you have their written communication giving the requirements and if you have evidence if conforming to them through photographs, lock/ anchor packaging and receipts if necessary then you'll get the value back.

I think it isn't being pessimistic to take the view a bike can always be stolen so trying to stop it could ultimately be futile. So the only option is to limit the loss if it happens.

Abscissa

Postby Abscissa » Sat Sep 14, 2019 09:19 am

Place it in a more secure bike shed.

Return to “Commuting Chat”