Your rants here.

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
whyamihere

Your rants here.

Postby whyamihere » Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:06 pm

We all get thoroughly annoyed with some of the idiots on the roads at times. Share your stories and rants here. Thanks to Attica for the idea.
Last edited by whyamihere on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

helz

Postby helz » Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:12 pm

I'm happy to say my daily commute has been completely hassle-free over the last few weeks and I've just been really enjoying it, so no rants from me today!
*´¨)
`.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´
Power to the pedal

Wobbly Wider

Postby Wobbly Wider » Wed Jun 11, 2008 08:28 am

Not really a rant about idiots on the road but more about pedestrians I suppose.

Why is that everytime I go down the cycle path on Cable Street (near Canary Wharf, junction with Butcher Row), some really clever chav has to have smashed a bottle all over the path?!!!! Probably something to do with the very grubby looking club 'Red' just around the corner. Keep thinking about getting fater/thinner tyres but will be sticking to marathon plus for the time being.

Does this wind up any other CW commuters? I know where I'd like to smash those bottles...
Sorry, rant over, I'm calm again.

saveswalking

Postby saveswalking » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:06 am

Wobbly Wider wrote:Not really a rant about idiots on the road but more about pedestrians I suppose.

Why is that everytime I go down the cycle path on Cable Street (near Canary Wharf, junction with Butcher Row), some really clever chav has to have smashed a bottle all over the path?!!!! Probably something to do with the very grubby looking club 'Red' just around the corner. Keep thinking about getting fater/thinner tyres but will be sticking to marathon plus for the time being.

Does this wind up any other CW commuters? I know where I'd like to smash those bottles...

Thats the cycle path/route that was dug up for ages isn't it ? I avoid using it now after several close encounters with pedestrians (walking out in front of you) and I've had a kick to my leg and back wheel by some little sh!t. I find the main road (A13) safer :(

sw

Wobbly Wider

Postby Wobbly Wider » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:18 am

Yep, it's the Forth Bridge of cycle paths, they're starting to dig it all up again! You do get some interesting characters to negotiate but I'm not a big fan of A13 or lower Thames Street, they're pretty frantic...

Gussio

Postby Gussio » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:45 am

If we post all our angst in here, there will be nothing left for the remainder of the forum :lol:

toslow

Postby toslow » Fri Jun 13, 2008 17:31 pm

kin dogs thats my rant , or should i say dog owners . There are some great recreational cycle trails down he in cornwall . My daughter who is 8 loves her bike so we regularly ride the pentewan trail . the trail should be renamed ' THE DOG SH*T SLALOM' i'ts every where , when you come across a dog owner on this ' cycle trail ' all you get is huffs and puffs and mutters about ' bl**dy bikes ,know matter how polite you are or how notice you give of your presents.

toslow

Postby toslow » Fri Jun 13, 2008 17:53 pm

I know my previous rant was not relevant to this commuting part of the forum but i feel better now.
But my commuting rant is this . I don't know about your neck of the woods but in the st austell area they have been putting central islands in stretches of road namely a place called Highstreet and reducing the speed limits . sounds like a good move doesn't it . Till you get mr/mrs impatient who cant wait two seconds forcing there way through between you and island . Pedals have clipped kerb a couple of times. ''Take the lane i hear you say .'' your having a laugh there usually to preocupied texting someone or rolling a ciggy while they steering with there knees. Slowing traffic down is a good thing but would rather see cycle lanes everywhere to keep me away from these mad mad people.

AndyManc

Postby AndyManc » Sun Jun 15, 2008 17:53 pm

toslow wrote: they have been putting central islands in stretches of road namely a place called Highstreet and reducing the speed limits . sounds like a good move doesn't it . Till you get mr/mrs impatient who cant wait two seconds forcing there way through between you and island ..

Have you contacted your local council telling them that their traffic calming designs have put your ( and other cyclists ) safety at risk?

Where I live the council have placed a short section of cycle only track in parallel with the islands, it doesn't work but at least they have recognised that there is a safety issue.

It's worth chasing them up to see what crap they come out with :?

karl j

Postby karl j » Mon Jun 16, 2008 08:55 am

Not one to rant too much generally, but the 'kin BM,..., er, "prestige German" car, or rather, the dkhd driving it too fast to stop at the white line of a T-junction last evening. Yes, of course, as everyone knows, it's so much better to just stop half the car length out into the main carriageway and expect everyone else to stop for you. And then swear at the passing cyclist (me) who goes around without stopping.

Re. the post above (cycle track parallel to a pinch-point) , we have one and they don't get cleaned by the roadsweepers. When i complained to the council i was told the drivers aren't insured to get out and use a dustpan & brush...
Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,

SmellTheGlove

Postby SmellTheGlove » Wed Jun 18, 2008 09:40 am

School bus driver accelerates from behind me to about 40 (diesel death rattle rings serious alarm bells) to race me to a light-controlled junction where I know the lights are about to go red.

Obviously not wanting to stop at the all-too predictable red (by this time red for a couple of seconds at least) after this frankly incontinent manouevre s/he proceeds to hang a left regardless into the moving traffic. Must have been a proud moment.
"Consider the grebe..."

JoeSoap76

Postby JoeSoap76 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Glass. Kids. Glass and kids!!!

One of the parks on my commute through Glasgow (and also signposted as part of Route 75 on the National Cycle Network) runs past a school. There are always kids hanging about in the park - which I have no problem with whatsoever. But those kids always seem to have glass bottles with them which, more often than not, end up smashed on the cycle path.

I call the council about it every so often and (usually a few weeks later) they eventually come and sweep it. It stays glass-free for a day, two at most, and then the fun starts again.

But I've just noticed that Glasgow City Council are advertising a famlily cycle through the park as part of Bike Week.. tomorrow at 7pm. So I call the council (using the number under 'CYCLING' in their contact list) and explain that the park is a bit of a tyre-hazard at the moment. After being bounced around a couple more departments - each time going through the same explanation (glass + family cycling event = bad) - I've just been told that they'll 'try' to get something organised.

Ah well - I did my best... :roll:

----
EDIT:

I take it back. They may not give a crap when you report dangerous taxi-drivers and it may take them a fortnight to sweep the glass up when it's just me that's having to avoid it... but the mention of an organised event had them ringing me back and promising to have the glass swept up tomorrow. :D

MadammeMarie

Postby MadammeMarie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 17:16 pm

Wobbly Wider wrote:Why is that everytime I go down the cycle path on Cable Street (near Canary Wharf, junction with Butcher Row), some really clever chav has to have smashed a bottle all over the path?!!!! Probably something to do with the very grubby looking club 'Red' just around the corner. Keep thinking about getting fater/thinner tyres but will be sticking to marathon plus for the time being.

CW commuter here with the same rant!! The place should be called "Chavland"! I would make those bastards eat the kin glass! :evil: :x

MadammeMarie

Postby MadammeMarie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 17:21 pm

Cycling up Cable Street (towards City) last week, about to reach the junction that's right before Shadwell station, when a car turns right onto my path. I hit it, not too hard b/c neither me or the retarded behind the wheel were going fast. I did check the car's indicators, but said retarded asshole thinks they are part of the car's decoration, so he doesn't use them. My knee hurt a bit afterwards, but I was pretty shaken. Never had had an encounter like that; always considered myself lucky.

It's quite annoying that, being Cable Street a pretty good lane (a bit bumpy, though), it has so many problems for cyclists. And now there's a car wash there, and cars are using the lane for parking!!!n :x

dondare

Postby dondare » Sat Jun 21, 2008 08:27 am

Last year I contacted "fillthathole" about some very nasty potholes in Barnet which I have to ride wide to avoid, endangering me and annoying drivers. They've still not been repaired, don't Councils have a legal obligation to repair unsafe roads once they've been reported?

Chewy Cheeks

Postby Chewy Cheeks » Mon Jun 23, 2008 17:57 pm

DonDare

see below

http://www.barnet.gov.uk/corporate-plan ... -safe.html

and the Barnet Coporate objective re safer streets.

If you want to have some results you could quote this story to

Mike Freestone Director of Envionment and Transport

for instance
No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing

biondino

Postby biondino » Mon Jun 23, 2008 20:59 pm

This is a very very minor rant, but you slow to a halt for someone waiting to cross at a zebra crossing and they say "no, after you". But I've already lost all my momentum for you, let ME be the decent one here!!
My Focus / My Bob Jackson
Blog (incl. bikes)

AndyManc

Postby AndyManc » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:09 am

biondino wrote:This is a very very minor rant, but you slow to a halt for someone waiting to cross at a zebra crossing and they say "no, after you". But I've already lost all my momentum for you, let ME be the decent one here!!

:lol: , just get off your bike take them by their hand and walk them across whilst slapping them across the back of their head .

don_don

Postby don_don » Fri Jun 27, 2008 13:12 pm

This blatant attempt at streamlining the forum has got me extremely angry :evil:

If I have a rant I want the whole forum to know about it, not for it to get lost on here :evil: :evil:

So my rants are going in a new thread where they belong, rant, rant, rant :evil: :evil: :evil:

Rant over :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dirk Van Gently

Postby Dirk Van Gently » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:31 am

A rant about ranting,

cue Mr Angry "I'll throw the phone down" :P
If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
Photography, Google Earth, Route 30

Return to “Commuting Chat”