Cut-throat shaving

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
bibimbap1424

Re: Cut-throat shaving

Postby bibimbap1424 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 15:06 pm

but i think for the price of rapha and the quantity, if he isn't using a brush..its going to run out pretty soon.

maybe a shave soap?

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Tue Jun 11, 2019 15:32 pm

Yeah sorry - that is definitely true. Most of the nice ones would need a brush I guess. They're hardly bulky!

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Tue Jun 11, 2019 21:49 pm

cougie wrote:What's the best lather please - not keen on having a brush to clog up the bathroom cupboard with. Currently just using shower gel but it's not the latheriest.

Just how small is your cupboard that it can't accommodate a brush? :? Seriously though, when travelling I just use whatever is on offer, Proraso given the choice. Most do a decent enough job. And yes, I do shave every day.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

cougie

Postby cougie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 23:23 pm

It's more that my wife's toiletries seem to increase on a daily basis - what they're all for I have no idea. Ta for the proraso tip I'll give that a go.

Mouth

Postby Mouth » Wed Jun 12, 2019 04:58 am

My wife bought me a blade bin, which is ceramic and basically a money box that can't be emptied. It'll hold a couple hundred used blades so the £3 investment is hardly extreme. One of those money tins which you need a tin opener for might work, but I reckon it'll hold approximately one million used blades. Alternatively, most pharmacies could probably supply you with a sharps bin for a small fee.

Blade of choice is an Astra gold I think.
The only disability in life is a poor attitude.

meursault

Postby meursault » Wed Jun 12, 2019 07:54 am

I use this razor

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/merkur/4132676-Merkur-Classic-Open-Comb-15C-Safety-Razor-Chrome-4045284011072.html

and Derby blades.

Tried a few soaps, but not really noticed too many differences, probably prefer Proraso stuff. Currently using an Arko stick that came free with my last blades. Lathers well, but has a bit of toilet block sniff to it!

Good message board here

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Underscore

Postby Underscore » Wed Jun 12, 2019 07:56 am

Rick Chasey wrote:Curious question - anyone who uses safety razors - are you shaving every day?

Yep, the days when I don't shave are the exception for me - when you get the hang of it, a two pass DE shave takes under 5 minutes and, unlike with cartridge razors, I don't get the irritation that makes me want to skip a day. If travelling with hand luggage only, I take a Mach 3 (though still use the same Palmolive cream and Omega brush as when travelling with the DE) and I will then only shave every other day as I otherwise get the shaving rash...

_

Wolfsbane2k

Postby Wolfsbane2k » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:06 am

I'm not a every day shaver, but then as a gaottee wearer, stubble isn't really as noticeable. Main reason I don't do it more often is habit caused by years or irritation caused by the cartridge ssytems.

Typicallly I shave Sunday night and Wednesday night.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 - Bike 2 - Bike 3 *- Bike 4 - Bike 5 - Bike 6...

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:24 am

I only ask as I only find the irritation a problem when I shave after 2 or 3 days of growth, and I had a theory that people who devote enough time to shaving properly with a safety razor clearly aren't doing it half asleep as they try to run out the door before 6:20am.

I used Mach 3 for years but tried harry's the other day (it worked out significantly cheaper), and it's an awful lot better - much closer shave.

Main difference I found to how irritated your skin is is how long you have your face wet before you shave.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:25 am

Rick Chasey wrote:I only ask as I only find the irritation a problem when I shave after 2 or 3 days of growth, and I had a theory that people who devote enough time to shaving properly with a safety razor clearly aren't doing it half asleep as they try to run out the door before 6:20am.

Correct. As I rush out the door at 05:40 I shave at night. A proper shave means no 5 o'clock shadow, at 5 o'clock. :wink:
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Return to “Commuting Chat”