Giro 2024:- Stage 6: Torre del Lago Puccini – Rapolano Terme, 180.0km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,912

Stage 6: Torre del Lago Puccini (Viareggio) – Rapolano Terme, 180.0km

May 9th

Start Time: 11-55BST.

A demanding stage characterised by a hilly second part and three gravel sectors totalling almost 12 km. The first two are shared with the Strade Bianche, the third is a new one. After a flat run-up in the Pisa hinterland as far as Volterra, the peloton will enter the Senese province and face the dirt section of Vidritta, which, compared to the Strade Bianche, is 2 km longer. The Bagnaia section follows just a few hundred metres later, featuring gradients of up to 15% as well as the second KOM of the day. Before Asciano, the Pievina is tackled. Very demanding finale with the wall of Serre di Rapolano.The riders set off from Tuscan seaside resort Viareggio to travel to the thermal springs town Rapolano Terme. The 180 kilometres long route takes in an elevation gain of 1,900 metres.

map

final kilometres

The last km are complicated and feature tricky bends and ups and downs. Of note at about 5 km from the finish line is the Serre di Rapolano climb, with gradients of up to 20% in the finale. The final straight is a 450 m stretch on asphalt with a width of 6 m and a gradient of around 6 %.

Torre del Lago Puccini (Viareggio)

Overview

Viareggio is mainly seen as a seaside resort because a long, sandy beach bathed by the waters of the Mediterranean flanks the town. However, it can also boast close proximity to the mountains of the hinterland, the Lake of Massaciuccoli and the protected areas of the Park of Migliarino and San Rossore. The town plays host to a number of national and international cultural and sporting events throughout the year including the Viareggio Carnival, which this year celebrates its 150th anniversary, the Puccini Festival, the Rèpaci Literature Prize and the Viareggio Cup World Football Tournament.

Food

Traditional dishes that must be tried during a stay in Viareggio

Cacciucco alla Viareggina

Cacciucco alla Viareggina is a traditional Italian seafood soup originating from Viareggio. This cacciucco version is lighter than the one made in Livorno, and it has a red broth. It also doesn't contain sage and has a slightly sweet aftertaste due to generous amounts of seafood and shellfish in the soup. The stock is made with celery, carrots, bay leaves, and fish heads, while the fish stew is made with garlic, chili peppers, olive oil, cuttlefish, octopus, lots of low value fish, tomato paste, white wine, mussels, and mantis shrimp. The soup is served with the mussels on top and a slice of bread rubbed with garlic on the side.

“Scarpaccia”

Finally, a dessert that isn’t sweet at all but which is usually eaten not only at the end of a meal but also as a snack during the day. A cake featuring finely sliced courgettes as the main ingredient. The resulting flavour, a mixture of sweet and savoury, delights the taste buds. Discover it for yourself!

Rapolano Terme

Overview

The municipality of Rapolano Terme extends between the wooded hills of Chianti, the Val di Chiana and the Crete Senesi. This stretch of land is a work of art created by the effort and hard work of farmers, artisans and the ingenuity of its inhabitants. An endless piece of land made of villages, parish churches, castles and farms.

Local Cusine

This land grows high quality products such as cereals, olives, vines, or can also be left for grazing. Excellent oil, delicious vegetables, top quality meat and fragrant pecorino cheese, made from the milk of sheep that are lucky enough to feed on the variety of herbs available in the area. The cuisine is the traditional and essential one of rural Tuscany. Vegetable soups, bread soups that become “ribollite” the next day, fresh handmade pasta, and barbecued meat. Rapolano boasts a dessert called the “focaccia rapolanese”, a delicacy that can only be tasted in local bakeries and restaurants. Two disks of short pastry and almonds enclosing a mouth-watering pastry cream.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    edited May 9

Lipowitz did not take the start-sick.

He was joined by Michael Woods and 2 of his teammates, after their crash, yesterday.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,998

That's disappointing for Lipowitz, another outsider gone.

No soft break today, thought UAE might be quite keen for a group to go so they can just sit back to controlling it.

Ganna suggesting the wind could be more important than the gravel.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,447

30km in at average over 50km/h and no break away yet. Everybody wants in. There's very little geography to help anyone get away though

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles

It could well be another 30 to 40kms before a break is formed. It’s pretty much flat, until it isn’t.

The pace is full on.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Could well get a break if they hit another crosswind section, it's pretty breezy

• No_Ta_Doctor

UAE need to be a bit careful here, most of the chasing is being done by teams that want to be in the break, but if they're not on their game then suddenly a huge split with everyone in it might go

• No_Ta_Doctor

55km done, still no break, they've ridden an hour at 51km/h average

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,284

Everything neutralising each other ...no real controlling

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,090

Those black shoes with white socks are terrible.

• No_Ta_Doctor

On the climb now, hopefully this has enough to let a break go

• mooro
    mooro Posts: 482

It’s stunning scenery so far. Break not quite escaping.

• No_Ta_Doctor

These Tuscan mountain villages/towns are incredible

• No_Ta_Doctor
    edited May 9

I'd honestly like them to sort things out so I can go and do some stuff and come back for the gravel!

Alaphilippe, Paret.Peintre and Fiorelli have 15", biggish chasing group, UAE on front of peloton

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,090

Punchy chase group now and UAE are controlling

• No_Ta_Doctor

Must be some bursting bladders from the morning's coffee by now

• No_Ta_Doctor

OK, the chase group caught the front, there's a sprint coming up in about 12km and it looks like Alpecin have Groves there for it

• No_Ta_Doctor

Current situation:

Not sure everyone will be happy having Plapp there, took 6th in Paris-Nice. Not a huge threat to Pog (unless he wants to stay in pink) but could make himself annoying for podium hopefuls

• mididoctors

Impressive ride by groves

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Beautiful race this year

• No_Ta_Doctor

Even more impressive by Vendrame, who successfully hunted his potato solo

We now have a break, they've got 1'45"

• blazing_saddles

Someone is bound to be unhappy with Plapp out the front.

• No_Ta_Doctor

I told you before, I had NO IDEA my fly was broken

• No_Ta_Doctor

Gap is still going out - 2'15"

• mididoctors

"At some point something will happen"

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,164

UAE should let Plapp take the jersey. It would give the team a break from controlling the race for a day or two, and he's not a genuine GC threat.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    edited May 9

And there's a TT to ride tomorrow, so he might want his own skinsuit......

Scratch that, he'd probably still be in the KoM jersey

• josame
    josame Posts: 1,143
    edited May 9

As interesting as this is.

Acasio da Silva - any other cyclists with watches in there names?

'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,164

This downhill entry into the first gravel sector is going to be hairy.

• mididoctors

Onto the gravel