Carlton Kirby

1666768697072»

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,361

So instead of hurtling into Arenberg at 60 km/h everyone will hit that chicane at 60 km/h.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,645

Just in case any of you missed the trailer during yesterday's Amstel Gold, take note that Carlton's one man show is coming soon to a venue near you (or Carlisle).

By the time you read this, there's every chance that all of the tickets will have sold out, but you might just be lucky so you'd better be quick off the mark.

It promises to be a "show for the ages" (copyright Rob Hatch)

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,627

Ah damn, I can't find my credit card ANYWHERE to enable me to place an order 🤥

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,184

Today’s team at FW was a real breath of fresh air. Lloyd and Stephens need to be the core of the commentary team for the bigger races. Luke Rowe fitted in well, having a current or recently retired rider really helps. No-one was wetting the bed at the thought of them taking a corner in the rain, rider identification was very good despite rain jackets (and they would say if they weren’t sure who was who rather than guess), it wasn’t declared a race for the ages despite being the best edition I’ve seen (Lloyd even said it isn’t usually the most exciting race.

It was a bit like a cycling version of TMS. Chuck in Kelly and / or Robbie and that’s a pretty decent team.

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,684

It was almost as if Stephens remembered at 4k to go that he had to get excited

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,952

I have finally caught up with coverage of the AGR.

I wish that I hadn’t.

Kirby set a new personal low for truly useless commentary.

A total fixation with MvDP winning, despite him being out of the picture for 30kms.

Too many other instances to list. Better just to say that he no understanding of race craft.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,627
    edited May 3

He definitely has no understanding of racecraft, and in all likelihood never has.

I recall one race a few years back, with a pointy peloton, and Ganna went on the front just easing through to take a turn as the rider on the front slid back (And this had been happening for a number of km), and suddenly he was 'attacking!' and no correction of this supposition after it became painfully evident that it was not what was happening in the slightest 🤣

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18