Islabikes ceasing production.

Not due to liquidity issues according to the article but the owners want to stop and I assume they're unable to find a buyer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-67237686

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    Spot on, completely revolutionised the children's bike market, from mostly crap that weighed a ton, to really well designed and light steeds.

Yes they are expensive to most people, but when you factor in that you get sometimes more than your money back for these bikes (And I include Frog in that statement from personal experience) they make MUCH more sense financially than Apollo or catalogue bikes, and that's before you get to the part where they are much easier and nicer for your children to ride etc etc.

Definitely a shame they are mostly leaving the arena, but thanks to them the entire market is changed forever, quite the legacy.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    We're on our 3rd and 4th Isabikes.
    All have been second hand and the two we've sold have been for what, if not more than we paid for them (after spending some money on them etc it's a loss)

Great little bikes and it's great to see they will be keeping spare parts available.
  • Danyradar
    Danyradar Posts: 11

It's sad to see them leaving the market, but their impact has certainly created an enduring legacy which transformed the industry in positive ways.

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 145

Here's hoping that at least a few manufacturers keep building half decent bikes for kids unlike the majority. Its a shame its ceasing production, but I'm guessing if somebody bought them out they'd probably screw it up.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited March 11

Personally I think they will, the market and more importantly a reasonable amount of the public are now educated as to what makes a quality kids bike.

Having said all that, if the likes of ashley starts taking an even bigger share of the shrinking cycling market, that could soon go downhill, I wouldn't put it past him to try and buy the islabikes name even, though hopefully it would not be for sale.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18