What Shock?

Son has a Trek Remedy 8 2018 and his rear shock has decided to give up the ghost!
My options are
Get it fixed at a cost
Bite the bullet and buy a new shock (possible upgrade)
He does a lot of enduro with some biggish jumps so needs something that will cope.
The current shock is a Rockshox deluxe rt3 reactive. The only measurements shown are 230x57.5mm
I know getting a shock to fit a trek bike is a bit of a nightmare so just really trying to gauge some suggestions of what might fit and work well etc
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Trek shocks can be a nightmare so first of all worth seeing what’s wrong with the current one ?
    I’ve had the air can unscrew on a ride and I’ve also had the Schrader valve core work loose both just lost all the air.

If the dampings died that might be a bit more expensive to fix but still possibly worth it.
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    Thanks for the input
    Yep first course of action is fox current.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    The "DVO Topaz T3 air shock" comes in the size you need, 230 x 57.5. (In the metric size range).

This is the first result I got for DVO Topaz T3 shock sizes, so at least yiu can see what it looks like.

https://www.pedalz.co.uk/products/dvo-topaz-t3-air-shock

Read the reviews; it is a fantastic shock and the design allows it to be very tunable. Don't despair if you cannot get EXACTLY the stroke length you are looking for, they come with spacers that allow the stroke to be adjusted by 5mm. (That knowledge would have saved me 3 months of waiting)! If you need a half size, then cut bits off the spacer! Because the spacer is not a uniform shape, I would weigh it, as it's the volume that matters.

If that sounds hard, I can send pictures and stuff. I also have a DVO engineering drawing that shows the outline dimensions so that you can work out whether it will fit your bike. The shock works just as well upside down for extra flexibility!

I believe that they are about £449.95. Don't expect to get them any cheaper because they are in demand and nobody is reducing the price, the key buying factor is who has one!

Send me a PM if you are want more info.
  • ed1973
    Awesome thank so much for this!
    I appreciate the lengthy but very informative reply
  • Hello there,

It's unfortunate to hear about the rear shock issue on your son's Trek Remedy 8 2018. Considering his enduro endeavors and jumps, it's essential to choose the right replacement. Given the 230x57.5mm measurements and the need for a shock that can handle the demands of enduro and jumps, options like the Fox Float X2, RockShox Super Deluxe, or the Cane Creek Double Barrel Air could be worth considering. These shocks offer various adjustments and performance capabilities that could cater to his riding style. However, reaching out to local bike shops or suspension experts for personalized advice could provide valuable insights into compatibility and the best fit for his specific riding preferences. A well-chosen shock replacement can elevate his biking experience, and I hope he'll be back on the trails with renewed enthusiasm soon!
  • ed1973
    Spoke to TF tuned who were great. They suggested buying the rockshox super deluxe from wiggle as it was a crazy low price and then using the lower Stanton from the reactiv as it’s the same size so will fit on the trek. Did all that and then found the reactive stantion had a massive gauge out of it so had to get a replacement in from Europe. So the bikes still in the shop but will be sorted soon.