Issue with stem

I was wondering if anyone could help.

I removed the handlebars etc to reroute a cable to the front break
On reassembly the handlebars will move but not the forks
Could anyone point me in the right direction?
In the pic that is the order i am inserting them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xBMB9XbdqH4mQasD6

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    There's something weird there... You have a threadless stem on what appears to be a threaded headset with the large nut above the headset. You may have an adapter in there which needs tightening, but I can't tell from those photos.
  • are there addition photos i could take to assist. thank you for help
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2023
    sorry - howcdo you mean 'bars turn but forks don't?

have you done all the bolts in the up?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If the bars are turning but the forks are not the obvious thing is to check the stem bolts are tight. If they are loose the stem will simply rotate around the steerer tube.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    100% sure you have a quill adapter. Watch this YouTube vid
    https://youtu.be/uCDgM4JvptE
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Out of interest, why did you remove the bars and stem to reroute the brake?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • hi, the video helps thanks i can get them down and locked in place but there is still a judder as if its loose at the spacers

i removed the stem accidentally as was trying to reroute a cable that was rubbing the frame and the wheel and stem fell out.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,412
    There's something not right here, the big nut on top of the headset is for a threaded fork and headset. If you have that the forks shouldn't come out when you remove the stem. If you have a threadless setup that big nut is wrong. As Mully says it looks like you have threaded forks and a quill adapter, is that what you have? If so tighten the big nut to take any play out of the bearings, but not so tight they bind. Then insert quill adapter and tighten so it cannot move, then clamp the stem to the adapter. Spacers above the headset are irrelevant if you have a threaded setup and adapter.
  • i have uploaded some more pictures
    i am not sure where to locate that bearing ring as i still get a slight rattle even when steam if i try do up the big nut it is just spinning

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Wy4hCJR8SkrgTCG9
  • i think it is a quill adaptor as there is a locking nut in there but i cant remove it from the forks
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If it’s an old school headset I.e. for a quill stem there should be two nuts to tighten against each other. To lock the headset bearings in place.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    That's a non-threaded steerer. You shouldn't have the large nut on there at all. The thread inside the steerer is the star nut, the bolt through the top cap threads into that and should tighten the headset. However, you may well be missing some bits... Where the large nut was, there should be a top race for the bearings, you don't appear to have that. I'd suggest taking the bike to a bike shop to establish what's going on.
  • thank you very much for help i am glad i am missing something so can give up. i will take it into a bike shop next week. thanks for help.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,412
    edited January 2023
    As whyamihere says that's a non-threaded steerer, someone has fitted what look like incompatible parts to it so I doubt you'll ever get it right with that set-up. The way to do it would be to loosen the stem clamping bolts, tighten the top cap to preload the bearings then tighten the stem clamping bolts, but if the bearing race is wrong you'll never get it to feel right, taking it to a bike shop seems like the best bet.
  • Will get shop to fix it and order a boardman mht i think.
    thanks for the help