Shifters for small hands

Nixtoo
Nixtoo Posts: 10
We're just bought a frog 55 and it all seems very nice. My son cannot use the gears, looking at the shifters (shimano m360) they are normal adult shifters. As a result the thumb needs to pushed quite far to change gear. I'm not sure his hands will be big enough to do this for quite some time. Are there any alternatives that have a shorter push to change? It's 8 speed.

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Twist grip is worth considering. The smaller Islabikes have those on so they must feel they are worthwhile.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I think with twist grip it likely depends on a few factors like model of grip, cable routing - and of course age/strength of the child. Both my kids were fine at age 6 on the twistgrip Islabikes - Beinn 20L being the model in question.

I do agree though that triggers are easier and lighter - as long as the child has big enough thumbs to pull enough cable when trying to shift to a lower gear.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    Switch the cassette and chain as well and you can get the better end shifters which take far less effort than the cheaper ones.

I don't know about 8 speed but you will have a load of choice with 9,10,11 speed! (And the 9 speed XT stuff is really cheap on ebay... the 10 speed still cheap and you can get a lot completely or almost unused (by people who went 1x11 before even riding the bike) and the new 11 speed M8000 ... getting a lot cheaper but WOW is it nice... even compared to the old M780 which both me and my kid have!