Looking for lightweight bike for a hamax bike seat - suggestions?

AKUCH
AKUCH Posts: 4
Hi I currently have a Pashley Princess but have been told that a hamax bike seat won't fit on it and it must have a specific Pashley seat which are over £200. I am looking for a similar style bike - a 'sit up' bike (I dont know what else to call them sorry!) as I find them most comfortable. Does anyone have any recommendations of a similar style bike that I could fit a bike seat too?
Thankyou!

Comments

• sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Who said it would not fit and what was the reasoning? The Hamax website says it has quite a large range of fitting adapters dependant on seat tube diameter. Whilst I own neither bike or seat I am dubious of the reasons it will not fit.
  • AKUCH
    Sandyballs wrote:
    Who said it would not fit and what was the reasoning? The Hamax website says it has quite a large range of fitting adapters dependant on seat tube diameter. Whilst I own neither bike or seat I am dubious of the reasons it will not fit.

Evans cycles did, something about the bike pump getting in the way? Also that the Pinnacle Californium and Ridgeback Avenida which I was looking at wont fit because of 'minimal clearance on the sea tubes'. I have to admit I am not a bike buff, I have no idea what this means!
  • sandyballs
    The pump is removable, and I would hazard a guess at never being used whilst out riding. Unless the mounting lug is in the way of the bracket it will fit. A mini pump that fits in your pocket is £15, much cheaper than a new bike. With the other bikes you mention there is probably not enough clearance between the seat post and the seat stays ( tubes that go from underneath the seat to rear wheels) for the Hamax bracket. Do you already own pashley bike and Hamax seat?
  • AKUCH
    Sandyballs wrote:
    The pump is removable, and I would hazard a guess at never being used whilst out riding. Unless the mounting lug is in the way of the bracket it will fit. A mini pump that fits in your pocket is £15, much cheaper than a new bike. With the other bikes you mention there is probably not enough clearance between the seat post and the seat stays ( tubes that go from underneath the seat to rear wheels) for the Hamax bracket. Do you already own pashley bike and Hamax seat?

Okay thanks. I own the Pashley but haven't bought the seat yet. I was advised that Hamax is the safest hence why going with that.
  • sandyballs
    This is the rear of the Hamax mount as you can see you could slide this tight up underneath the pump mount, and the pump might even fit still, if not oh well. It might be worth a try at a local bike shop to see.

http://flic.kr/p/FsoBsw
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    AKUCH wrote:
    Sandyballs wrote:

Okay thanks. I own the Pashley but haven't bought the seat yet. I was advised that Hamax is the safest hence why going with that.

Most bike seat accidents will have NOTHING to do with the seat design .... So I wouldn't get hung up on one make.
    The most common accidents must be getting on/off and when you are not actually riding ... So "safest" is a spurious claim to what in effect are a a vulnerable group (good parents) .... Because they know the "we will always buy safest" ...

Also you probably don't want a lightweight bike so much as one with no flex in the frame as this is the next accident when the kid shifts their weight and the frame twists slightly. That would be aluminium alloy frame. The last bike you want is a carbon (or titanium frame) that both flex far more than steel. This is a good "quality" for riding comfort in all aspects except fitting a child carrier. As it happens aluminium frames are the most common on mid range bikes and whilst heavier than carbon are perfect for fitting child seats.

Frame design means a women specific (cycle with skirts) frame is going to twist much more than a unisex where the top tube goes all the way across. The downside is if you are used to mounting a cycle with skirts frame but the "traditional" with skirts frame is going to twist far more once you add a few kg to the downtube. It's not going to break ... It's just going to make steering erratic if you lean one way and the seat doesn't ... The unisex top tube is also a very good place to hold the bike in the most dangerous operations which as I said are actually when you are not riding.

A nice to have with the extra weight of the child is a basic suspension fork. It adds some weight but will make the ride far nicer for both of you. Again you are looking for the stiffest bike that won't twist/flex so adding basic suspension is far more useful than if you are cycling without.

My commuter bike had a seat fitted and the frame paintwork is scratched as a consequence. Thus resale values is a lot less even though it's just cosmetic as aluminium frames don't rust. This would make me think twice before buying a new bike to fit a child seat.

I wouldn't buy some cheap no-name Chinese eBay seat but neither would I buy a brand new bike specifically.

eBay and forums like this are full of good candidates to buy a used bike with all the characteristics for a child seat and local and being able to try it would be preferential.
    Many keen bikers will be selling both.... anyone with a performance bike is unlikely to attach a seat for multiple reasons (most discussed above) ... On the other hand they are probably very good at bike maintenance so you would be getting a very well maintained bike chosen to host a child seat.
  • TheSloog
    TheSloog Posts: 50
    My wife just bought a step through Liv Flourish and the hamax child seat does not fit. There isn't enough clearance over the mudguard so it pushes down on the wheel...
    It's a bit annoying - you can get extension bars that will fit but will also need to buy another clamp, with a combined price of about 50 quid.
    Not sure how easily interchangeable the extension bars are either - may end up having to buy a new child seat (but not sure whether you can get them with extended bars!!!)
    Any suggestions??